Friday, April 29, 2011

Spinach Bread Pudding with Lemon and Feta

Spinach Bread Pudding with Lemon and Feta

This bread pudding was my savory contribution to our Easter potluck (as well as the amazing bacon chutney from Cast Iron Gourmet). I've never made bread pudding before and when I found this recipe, I couldn't help but be intrigued. The top gets nice and crispy while the bottom is custardy and light giving this a nice combination of textures. Lemon and fresh oregano brighten up the dish and feta gives it a nice tang. The best part about this pudding is that it can be assembled the night before and baked off right before you serve it. I will definitely be making this again and again.

Spinach Bread Pudding with Lemon and Feta
(Adapted from Super Natural Every Day)

Makes 8+ servings

3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 ounces whole wheat bread, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
6 ounces baby spinach, finely chopped
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 large eggs, beaten
2 cups milk
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the bread cubes onto a baking sheet. Drizzle the bread cubes with about 1 tablespoon of olive oil and season lightly with salt. Bake until lightly browned. Set aside to cool. Transfer the bread to a large bowl. Stir in the spinach and 1/4 cup of the feta.

In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of olive oil, the mustard, lemon zest, and lemon juice. Add the eggs and beat until blended. Add the milk and season with 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and spinach mixture. Use your hands and toss well to combine.

Transfer the bread mixture to a baking dish or two and let stand at room temperature for 2 hours. Alternately, you can refrigerate the mixture over night.

Sprinkle the remaining feta on the bread pudding and bake in the center of the oven until risen and set, 30-40 minutes. Scatter the oregano on top. Cut into squares and serve.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Erica said...

I've never had or made bread pudding! This combination sounds perfect though. I will have to make this once I'm allowed to have feta again! Yum yum- great Easter dish

kellypea said...

Love all the flavors in this -- have made bread pudding lots, but never a savory one. It's sort of like a strata, isn't it? Perfect to make ahead for sure :)

Banana Wonder said...

Amazing recipe ESI! I am definitly going to have to try this. So far I have failed at savory bread puddings, but that's because I never follow a recipe.

lynn said...

sounds wonderful - i love the idea of lemon and feta!

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

I absolutely love the flavors in this - it sounds just wonderful!

Diana said...

Bread pudding is one of my favorite favorite favorite things to eat, but I haven't made it either! Like that this version is rather virtuous too. Don't need to do any substituting...

Joanne said...

I'm pretty sure I've bookmarked this along with every other recipe in Heidi's cookbook...but it just got bumped up to have-to-make-immediately status. Love it!

susan said...

wow - i am such a carb girl and this is so up my alley! i would devour every bite of this, Esi! You are so inspiring!

Rachel said...

Mmm, spinach, feta and lemon - what a great combo! I've never made a savory bread pudding either.

vanillasugarblog said...

this sounds interesting!

Kerstin said...

Sounds like the perfect flavor combo for spring!

marla said...

Esi, I actually prefer this idea over sweet bread pudding. Genius!

Amanda- Eating in Winnipeg said...

hey i do a blog hop on sundays called savory sundays and i would love it if you came over and shared one of your great recipes!!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

love savory dishes for brunch. looks extremely good ;)

test it comm said...

I like the sound of a savoury spinach bread pudding!