Saturday, January 3, 2009

Fried Ravioli

I fought the cold and the cold won. Blech! Not feeling so hot this morning, but I still gotta eat. I made these bad boys after I (finally) got home from my NYE celebration. I was having some trouble figuring out what to eat that day so I didn't eat anything at all. Weird...I know. When I got home, I decided to make these as a little snack to have while watching a movie (Sex and the City for the umpteenth time!). I have had this recipe saved for what seems like ages so I am glad to finally have used it. Instead of having these with marinara sauce, I enjoyed them with some leftover slow roasted tomato soup from the night before. The second time I made the soup, it came out quite chunky so it was the perfect consistency to use as a dip. This was definitely a new experience food-wise, but a really good one. I hear that Dan Tana's has this as an appetizer on the menu, but I can tell you my version is a lot cheaper. I am off to go lay back in bed for the rest of the day. Get out there and enjoy the last couple of days of your break (if you are on break).


Fried Raviloi
(From Giada De Laurentiis)

Oil for frying
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
1 box fresh ravioli
Parmesan for sprinkling
Marinara sauce (or other sauce) for dipping

Pour enough oil into a large frying pan to reach a depth of 2 inches. Heat the oil over medium heat until a deep-fry thermometer registers 325 degrees F.

While the oil is heating, put the buttermilk and the bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Working in batches, dip ravioli in buttermilk to coat completely. Allow the excess buttermilk to drip back into the bowl. Dredge ravioli in the bread crumbs. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and continue with the remaining ravioli.

When the oil is hot, fry the ravioli in batches, turning occasionally, until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the fried ravioli to paper towels to drain.

Sprinkle the fried ravioli with Parmesan and serve with the sauce of your choice for dipping.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Erica said...

I hope you feel better!! Colds are no fun. Mmm these sound so good! Love Giada's recipes!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, I love Giada. So any recipe you make of hers is alright by me. It looks so delicious. I like the idea of using your leftover soup as the sauce. Smart idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Well you've certainly been busy cooking up some amazing things! Macaroons, ham and cheese in puff pastry, fried ravioli. All of which looks incredible. I'm planning to attempt to make homemade puff pastry as soon as I can work up the nerve...and the time. Happy New Year to you as well!

Diana said...

Those look deadly! In a good way. :)

Sorry to hear that the cold is wrecking havoc on your weekend, but at least you aren't missing out on nice weather. I sort of wish I could just crawl in my bed for the rest of the day!

vanillasugarblog said...

I clearly remember that episode and couldn't wait to make them.
Yours came out perfectly! They look sooooooo good.
I hope you feel better; getting a cold totally bites.

gaga said...

Yum, those look delicious!

Esi said...

Thanks guys! I am such a baby. I don't really have a full blown cold...yet. I have been loading up on Vitamin C, but my throat is so incredibly sore and I have a little cough. Ugh.

Yeah, Diana today and yesterday were the perfect days to stay in and do nothing. What is up with this gloom?

Evan, good luck with the puff pastry. I would love to try doing that too when I have some time so I can't wait to hear how yours goes!

Reeni said...

How delicious! I have been wanting to make these too. Hope your feeling better!

Anonymous said...

I love Giada, and I'm sure I'll love these. Nice Post!

Debbie said...

I love Giada's recipes. Your ravioli's look so good!

Heather said...

mmmmmmm. you know would love this! how much more italian can you get?!?! and the color is so beautiful and golden!!!

The Food Hunter said...

Your raviolis look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I really like Giada. If you want to try a good high heat frying oil try rice bran oil. You will love the high smoke point, clean taste and health qualities.

Paula said...

Hope you reign triumphant over your cold. These look tasty! I had them for the first time about a month ago at a school fundraiser. They make a great appetizer ... and snack! :-)

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I've made fried ravioli before but made the mistake of using frozen ones, yuck, not good! I hadn't thought about the fresh ravioli or breading them. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
~ingrid
Btw, hope ya feel better soon!

Cakespy said...

Oh my god, this looks so delicious.

Anonymous said...

I haven't had fried ravioli in forever...These look so good I am going to have make them soon.

pigpigscorner said...

I love rabioli but I haven't had them fried before. I'm sure it tastes really good!

Anonymous said...

I am from St. Louis. This is the "home" of fried ravioli! We have always had them. i just thought everyone has too! Are we the only ones to have pork steaks ?

Carla

Esi said...

So I guess this did turn into a full blown cold, but hopefully it's almost over. Thanks everyone for visiting and saying such nice things :)

Justine said...

I made this in my high school "nutrition" aka cooking class; so easy and comforting!