Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Quinoa Porridge

This was one of the first recipes I wanted to try back when I first thought of making a food blog and I am just now getting to it. I love this alternative to a typical breakfast oatmeal. It has a lot of the same ingredients, but instead of the oatmeal, you're just using quinoa. For the toppings I decided to go with some dried cranberries and raw pistachios which I buy quite frequently from the farmers market. Not only did they provide a great sweetness and crunch, but they look very pretty too. Per the recipe, I sweetened this with agave nectar, but honey would work out just as well. This was a nice departure from my typical egg, toast, and fruit brekkie. What do you guys like to have for weekday breakfasts?


Quinoa Porridge
(Adapted from 101 Cookbooks)

1/2 cup milk (I used non-fat)
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup organic quinoa, rinsed
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 splash vanilla extract
1 tablespoon raw pistachios, chopped
1 tablespoon dried cranberries, chopped
2 teaspoons agave nectar

Combine milk, water, cinnamon, vanilla, and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed. Turn off heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Stir in pistachios and cranberries. Drizzle 1 teaspoon agave nectar over each serving.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Erica said...

Sounds good. I might whip this up for Josh this weekend. I love quinoa. My breakfast for the week days is usually an apple with a little PB and coffee and then halfway through the morning I have a second piece of fruit or unsweetened applesauce.

Heather said...

i usually do yogurt with granola in the weekday mornings... and usually the same thing on weekends ;) i did make pancakes today on account of the snow day... but generally i'm a speedy breakfast eater.

Reeni said...

I eat a fried egg almost every morning. If I don't eat it I get cravings all day and end up eating one for lunch. I love oatmeal(still haven't tried quinoa) for a snack, your combo of cranberries and pistachios sounds real yummy.

LM said...

This looks amazing! Wow...people get up with enough time to eat? I really need to look into that.
Coffee and I are weekday morning BFFs. Sometimes a croissant, when the wind sends the bakery smell my way... ;)

Deb Schiff said...

Very nice! When I finish my pounds of oatmeal, I'll give this a try. :)

Diana said...

I tried this recipe just after it went up on 101 Cookbooks, but wasn't a big fan. I still felt hungry after (maybe because I didn't make enough?) and was back to my peanut butter oatmeal the next morning. I pretty much do that everyday, though a couple days a week I do make my own yogurt parfait with cold banana, Rachel's yogurt and Go Lean Crunch cereal. Delish!

vanillasugarblog said...

I want that for breakfast! I'm getting tired of my borrrring oatmeal.

Esi said...

Heather - I am quite jealous of your snow day!

Leeeza! Aren't there always crazy windchills blowing your way? :)

Diana, peanut butter oatmeal sounds good, and parfaits sound even better!

Dawn, I like jazzing oatmeal up, try adding some pumpkin and cinnamon to it.

Unknown said...

Mmmmm, quinoa. and breakfast. can do no wrong!!

marmay said...

This looks great. My breakfast in during the week is Fage Plain yogurt with unsweetened blueberries and a sprinkle of grapenuts. Breakfast is my favorite meal.

Joie de vivre said...

How lovely and healthy. Also, for a whole grain that is really quick!

Dee said...

I've been meaning to try quinoa in a breakfast porridge too. Will get right on this!

We're pretty indulgent on weekends, but oat porridge and toast is the weekday standard for the kid. It's just coffee and juice for me. I know, I know...

The Food Librarian said...

I have to admit I've never cooked quinoa. It seems to be everywhere, except my kitchen. I'm a Puffins with cereal and blueberries, or oatmeal with maple syrup and bananas breakfast gal. However, this looks soooo yummy I have to try it!

Esi said...

Marmay, that sounds like a great breakfast! I like to sweeten Greek yogurt with a bit of honey or agave.

Dee...eat breakfast!! :)

Food Librarian, Puffins are delish and taste too good to be healthy! Haha.

Paula said...

This is right up my alley! I've only had quinoa in savory dishes; I'd love to try something new with it. Those dried cranberries are great, and pistachios make everything taste better. YUM!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Esi, this sounds yummy. I've got to try it. Thank you for the great recipe my friend.

Hayley said...

I'll have to give quinoa another try, because this looks so tasty. I usually have pumpkin oatmeal with cranberries and pecans, or pumpkin-banana with some almond butter. Oatmeal is so versatile and tasty. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I just ate a granola bar at my desk for breakfast...if I get up early enough I eat yogurt at home.

If I had more time, I would want to try this or maybe peanut butter oatmeal.

test it comm said...

Quinoa makes a great porridge and I like the pistachios and cranberries in this one.