Sunday, July 6, 2008

Blood Orange and Chipotle Shrimp Tacos with Tomato Black Bean Salsa

Oh Sunday. While I look forward to spending the day at the Farmer's Market and preparing my lunches for the week, this particular Sunday also marks the end of my super long holiday weekend. It was a great weekend of friends, food, cocktails, and the beach! Besides the cornbread I will be posting about on Thursday, I didn't make much over the weekend so I wanted to make something fresh that also highlighted the tastes of summer. I had been wanting to make homemade tortillas for a while and I thought I could combine that with some grilled shrimp since I am loving the grill right now. I had a little chipotle sauce left over and I snatched up the last of the blood oranges (of the season) at the Farmers Market. I made the salsa for a little extra freshness.

Blood Orange and Chipotle Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Tomato Black Bean Salsa

8 shrimp peeled and de-veined
1 tbsp chipotle in adobo
2 tbsp cilantro, chopped plus extra for garnish
juice from one blood orange
splash of canola oil

Combine all ingredients and let the shrimp marinate for about 20 minutes. Grill shrimp over high heat for about 2 minutes on each side.

Tomato Black Bean Salsa

1 organic beefsteak tomato, seeded and chopped
8 oz organic black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4 c cilantro, chopped
2 scallions, chopped
1/4 white onion, chopped
1/2 jalapeno, minced
juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 tsp kosher salt

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Homemade flour Tortillas
(adapted from Epicurious)

2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp canola oil
6 oz warm water

In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and 1/2 of the water. Mix together with your hands and continue adding water into the dough until it forms a solid ball, but is not too sticky. If necessary, add additional flour or water as needed. Knead the dough on a floured board for 5 minutes. Cut the dough in half and then in half again. Roll each piece into a ball, place them on a lightly floured surface, and cover with a damp towel. Heat a grill to medium heat. Roll out the dough, one piece at a time to about 1/4 inch thickness. Place one round of dough on the grill and cook on each side for about 30 seconds. Continue the process with the remaining portions of dough.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds so fresh and summery. I've never made a flour tortilla before, but this sounds so straight forward and like everything home made is always the best!

Thistlemoon said...

Oh wow, that is just awesome! I so want to eat these for lunch today!

musicbleep said...

Sounds great and all, but if you "snatched up" all the blood oranges for the season; how will I be able to make this dish? Can I just come and eat yours? xoxo

test it comm said...

Those tacos look really tasty!

Shelby said...

This looks and sounds so delicious! YUMMY!