Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Bibim Nengmyun (Buckwheat Noodles with Hot Pepper Sauce)

Bibim Nengmyun (Buckwheat Noodles with Hot Pepper Sauce)

I recently had a strong and intense craving for noodles. I had to satisfy it immediately so I decided to try out a new recipe. These are easy, fast, and satisfying and great for any time you need noodles in a hurry. Bonus points for me having all of the ingredients in my kitchen. The spice factor is high so be forewarned, but that is always what I am looking for so I loved it. The egg and cucumber can help cool your mouth if you are sensitive to that sort of thing.The noodles are served at room temperature or cold which was great for a sudden, unexpected burst of unseasonably warm weather we recently experienced.

Bibim Nengmyun (Buckwheat Noodles with Hot Pepper Sauce)



One year ago: Best of 2010
Two years ago: Garlic Sizzled Chicken Wings
Three years ago: French Yule Log



Bibim Nengmyun
(Adapted from Spoon Fork Bacon)

Makes 4 servings

8 ounces buckwheat soba noodles
1/4 cup gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
1-2 tablespoons sugar, depending on your taste
1 1/2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
Salt to taste
1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
4 hardboiled eggs, halved
1/2 of a hothouse cucumber, cut into sticks

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it liberally. Add the noodles and cook for 4-5 minutes until they are soft. Drain the noodles and run them under cold water until they have cooled to room temperature.

Meanwhile, whisk the gochujang, sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add salt if necessary.

Add the noodles to the sauce and toss well to combine. Divide the noodles amongst plates and top with sesame seeds, egg halves, and cucumber pieces.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

emily (a nutritionist eats) said...

This kind of looks like some noodles we had at a korean restaurant! Yum!

Banana Wonder said...

Mmmmm I totally get Asian noodle cravings too. I will have to try these out sometime.

vanillasugarblog said...

wow. that is a very creative recipe.
you know you always make the perfect hard boiled egg. never ever have any green or over-doneness (is that a word?)

lynn said...

yum. i have so much gochujang i don't know what to do with it!

Esi said...

Haha, Lynn, I'm always looking for ways to use up gochujang. I have so much of it too!

Joanne said...

I didn't even realize I was craving really spicy noodles until you posted this..but I so am. These look awesome.

Jamie Walker said...

those noodles are beautiful! I want some now..

marla said...

Such a fun & spicy noodle-y recipe :)