Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Favorite Restaurant Dishes of 2011

If you're reading this, it means the Blogger gods are cooperating and letting me get a couple posts in while I'm exploring the wilds of Namibia. This year, there were too many favorites to just do one post so without further ado, here are my favorite restaurant eats from the past year:

Piazza by Zucca Ristorante has unfortunately closed since my visit, but their luscious panna cotta is still in my mind. It was my first panna cotta experience and the one I will compare every future panna cotta I eat to.

Panna Cotta

My meal at Feng Mao was very meat-centric. To help break through the heft, we had scallion pancakes. This simple pancakes were crispy and full of onion flavor. I recently went back and they were just as good as when I first experienced them.

Scallion Pancake at Feng Mao

Earlier this year, I moved to the east side of town and I have really enjoyed getting to know my neighborhood. Sausage places are popping up in Los Angeles faster than zits on a teenager's face and so far my favorite is Berlin Currywurst. The varying levels of heat, perfectly cooked sausages, and reasonable prices are reason to go often.

Paprikawurst

There were many great bites at LA Street Food Festival, but my favorite of the day was the oyster from Mision 19. I declared it the best oyster ever and that still remains true.

Javier Plascencia / Mision 19:  Pacific Oyster Asada w/ Chicharron Short Rib, Serrano Ponzu Butter, Lemongrass Foam

As I have mentioned many times, I am a huge fan of brunch. While ricotta hotcakes are something I would never order, I am thrilled we got them at Cecconi's. My mouth just waters at the thought of the fluffy hotcakes bursting with housemade ricotta.

Ricotta Hotcakes with Blueberry Compote

One of my most epic meals this year as LudoBites 7.0. I really enjoyed most of what we had, but I am still dreaming of the epoisse risotto.Still the best risotto I have ever had.

Epoisse Cheese Risotto, Hazelnut, Egg Yolk, Herb Salad

It was really hard to pick between LudoBites 7.0 and MB Post as my favorite meal of the year, but I say MB Post wins by a hair. There was so much outstanding-ness at that dinner, it's hard to pick just one part as my favorite, but I'll give the honor to the pomegranate and melon couscous salad. It's the perfect example of how the simplest food can be the best.

Pomegranate Couscous

It's hard to imagine I'd still be hungry after all this food, but I am. Stay tuned to find out my favorite recipes of the year!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Joanne said...

How fun! You've definitely made me hungry with this post!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh yeah i remember that currywurst. you are taking me there when i get back to cali ms thing.
hope your cold is DUNZO!
stay safe E!

Kelly said...

That's a pretty epic list. You didn't eat badly by any stretch of the imagination. I love a good oyster so some sort of oyster dish would definitely have made my list as well.

marla said...

Happy new year! You are such a lucky lady to be able to enjoy these amazing restaurants!