Friday, December 2, 2011

Roasted Beet Salad with Wilted Greens, Herbed Goat Cheese, and Candied Walnuts

Roasted Beet Salad

Our Thanksgiving meal was remarkably healthy, but I guess I should not have been surprised with a group comprised of mostly actors and a personal trainer. In addition to turkey we had grilled brussels sprouts, grilled potatoes, roasted carrots, mashed cauliflower, stuffing, and this salad. This is a fancier version of a salad I did a couple of years ago. It takes a while to make because of the time required to roast beets, candy walnuts, and make herbed goat cheese, but it is so worth the effort. I used my go-to balsamic vinaigrette as the dressing which added a touch of tanginess. I love the various textures in the salad which keep it anything but boring and pretty to boot.

Roasted Beet Salad



One year ago: Spicy Truffle Mac and Cheese
Two years ago: Garlic Soup with Shrimp
Three years ago: Butternut Squash and Caramelized Onion Galette



Roasted Beet Salad with Wilted Greens, Herbed Goat Cheese, and Candied Walnuts
(By Esi)

Makes 8 servings

1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
3 bunches of beets, roasted, cooled, and diced
Greens from 3 bunches of beets, washed and dried
6 ounces baby spinach, roughly torn
5 ounces herbed goat cheese
1 cup candied walnuts
1/4 cup pomegranate arils (optional)

In a medium bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper and set aside.

Add the beet greens and spinach to a large pot. Cover and heat over low heat until the greens have wilted, about 10 minutes. Season the greens lightly with salt and cool to room temperature.

Arrange the greens on a large plate, top with the roasted beets, candied walnuts, dollops of goat cheese, and pomegranate arils if using. Serve the salad at room temperature with the dressing on the side.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Kristina Vanni said...

Add the words "goat cheese" or "candied walnuts" to anything and I am on board! Such a great salad topper :)

Nancy said...

Yum... so what time is lunch???

Maria said...

Love everything about this salad!

Joanne said...

There is NOTHING I hate more than a boring salad...but this is anything but. Totally with the time!

Heather Christo said...

this is one of my favorite combo's! Just a beautiful salad!

Diana said...

I sooooo wish I could have had your Thanksgiving feast. Sounds like all my favorite things! I think I might have passed out from happiness with this salad too. Your candied walnuts look so perfect!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I would agree. The salad looks so good because of the all the textures and then the color too. Lucky you to have a healthy thanksgiving.

Unknown said...

now that is my kind of salad :)