Monday, February 20, 2012

Beer Ice Cream

Beer Ice Cream

Like much of the country, Los Angeles is experiencing a warmer than usual winter. I personally am not a fan of constant 80 degree weather and sunshine, but I know I am in the extreme minority. I just love bundling up or sitting at home wrapped in my Snuggie. I'm weird, I know. I'm sure those in colder climates are dreaming of the days when they can sit outside and drink a beer. Since I can do that any time, I'm thinking of other ways to enjoy a beer. I also needed to give my ice cream maker a workout so beer ice cream is what I did. The recipe doesn't specify what kind of beer to use so I went with an inexpensive chocolate stout that I found at Trader Joes. You can taste the chocolatey undertones in the ice cream and it has a nice robust flavor. I'm really curious to see how a lighter beer would fare in this, but I am happy with the results, especially since I got to turn it in to a beer float.

Beer Float

This recipe is from the Los Angeles Times and can be found here.


One year ago: Rosemary and Sea Salt Soft Pretzels
Two years ago: Spicy Turkey Burgers
Three years ago: Chipotle-Lime Glazed Shrimp

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

Erica said...

Haha. We always want what we dont have, right? What a fun creation!!

vanillasugarblog said...

I just posted ice cream too!
Wish we had the record temps that you have.
Your photos are awesome totes.

Heather Christo said...

Esi! This is so awesome! I can't wait to try this when our weather gets a little warmer!

susan said...

Esi, can we skip lunch and just drink this for an hour?

aida mollenkamp said...

I love ice cream beer floats as well -- have never done it with Oatmeal Stout though so thanks for that idea!

Banana Wonder said...

I love everything about this! YUM YUM YUM!

Angela said...

Sounds like a fun ice cream. I'm with you. I am dying for some snow, and a snuggie day. It's extra warm here too, and I want to wear my ugg knock offs. I like cozy too. I think you picked a good beer choice for this and I'd love it.

Joanne said...

One of my best friends is a beer FANATIC and I just know she would LOVE this! Maybe as part of her next birthday treat...

marla said...

I am so happy to be out of the heat in CA ~ snowy mountains for 2 weeks is more than blissful as is this ice cram recipe :)