Monday, February 13, 2012

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes

Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes

Recently, my pal Olga at Mango Tomato tweeted about a pancake recipe she was making. It just so happened I was in a mood for breakfast for dinner that day, but couldn't decide between biscuit egg sandwiches or pancakes. Olga paired her pancakes with boozy fruit, but I decided to go with a different spin. To clear my freezer and also to avoid my general dislike for too much sweetness in breakfast, I served my pancakes plain. The melted chocolate within the delicate pancake was all I needed for a touch of decadence. This is my new favorite pancake recipe and I can't wait to try it again with a different combination. I'm thinking a strawberry sauce could be my next plan of action.


One year ago: Farro with Garlicky Braised Kale and Prosciutto
Two years ago: Healthy Black Bean Dip
Three years ago: Spicy Black Bean Cakes


Chocolate Chip Buttermilk Pancakes
(Adapted from Joy of Baking)

Makes 4 servings

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 large egg. lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk at room temperature
3 tablespoons melted butter, cooled to room temperature
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Extra melted butter or cooking spray for cooking

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, and 3 tablespoons melted butter.

Create a well in the flour mixture, stir in the liquid mixture and stir to combine. Mix lightly. It is okay if some lumps remain. Fold in the chocolate chips.

Heat some butter or cooking spray in a nonstick pan or griddle over medium high heat. Use a 1/3 cup measure to spoon out the mixture on to the cooking surface. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until small bubbles appear on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for another minute or two until the pancakes are lightly browned. Serve warm topped with powdered sugar or maple syrup if desired.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

9 comments:

lynn said...

i like my pancakes plain too - esp. when they have chocolate chips!!!

aida mollenkamp said...

Gotta love the classic recipes of Joy of Cooking. Thanks for sharing, Esi!

Erica said...

Saving this!! I love pancakes for dinner. The hint of sweet is perfect

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

woo hoo!!! I get a mention and a link ♥. So glad we can bounce ideas off one another.

Joanne said...

Love this! I haven't had syrup on pancakes in a LONG time, usually go for greek yogurt or fruit instead! Besides, you wouldn't want to smother those delicious chocolate bites in saccharine sweet liquid! They need to shine.

angela@spinachtiger said...

I'm trying to think of what to fix for breakfast tomorrow. I'll have hubby and two four-year old boys to feed. I have the buttermilk and the chocolate chips and I think these with some strawberries will be a perfect Valentine's breakfast.

marla said...

The perfect fluffy stack of pancakes ~ wish we had them on our ski trip!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

wow love that you melted the choc in the batter rather than use choc chips! bet the results were so yummy!

Kristina Vanni said...

I love breakfast for dinner and these pancakes surely sound like they would appease a dinner appetite. Perfect for that evening sweet tooth!