Thursday, March 4, 2010

Loteria Grill

What do you get when you put four blogging gal pals together?

Margaritas at Loteria Grill
(A whole lotta fun)

We'd been trying to make a lunch or dinner date happen for a while. We finally settled on a date that we could all make and it just so happened to coincide with a Blackboard Eats discount. Have you heard of Blackboard Eats yet? It's seriously amazing. You can find some great deals at restaurants in your city. Alright, well they only really exist in Los Angeles and New York right now, but I am sure it will spread like wildfire to wherever you are.

Chips and Salsa at Loteria Grill

The original Loteria at the Farmers Market is just up the street from me, but I have never been. I had heard the food (and margaritas) were legendary so I was excited to check it out. The chips and salsa were amazing. I am pretty sure we had at least four orders of it. Whatever they put in the salsa is completely addictive. Knowing I was on my way there, my good friend JenFinn suggested we order the "cheese hat" (Chicharrones de Queso). I was super confused at first, but completely understood once it came out. It's cheese that's been fried, then folded in to the shape of a hat. Served with tortillas, salsa, and guacamole, it's a cheese lover's dream and definitely a popular menu item. I noticed almost every other table at the restaurant ordered the same thing and Jonathan Gold just named it one of the 99 things to eat in Los Angeles before you die.

Cheese "Hat" at Loteria Grill

For my entree, I ordered simply. Chicken tacos and carnitas tacos as well as a side of cilantro rice, because I'll be damned if I go to a Mexican restaurant and don't order rice.

Chicken and Pork Tacos at Loteria Grill

Cilantro Rice at Loteria Grill

All in all, it was a great meal and even better that it was 30% off! I am looking forward to using Blackboard Eats specials in the future and of course, more fabulous times with some of my favorite gals!

Loteria Grill
6627 Hollywood Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90028
(323) 465-2500
http://loteriagrill.com

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Gaby said...

such a fantastic lunch! we need another one asap!! see you this weekend!

La Bella Cooks said...

I'll take an order of each, please and give me two of those drinks. Heaven! Wow, this post has me starving now.

Memória said...

O-M-G!!! Everything looks AMAZING!!! I shouldn't be looking at these photos on an empty stomach. Goodness. I'm glad you four had so much fun. I wish I could have been there.

Jenn said...

I soooo want to try that cheese hat!! looks really cool. I'm in the mood for tacos.

Diana said...

I love loteria! Used to go there for lunch all the time when I worked at CBS. The chicken mole burritos are quite delicious there! Funny, never even knew about the cheese hat...

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

I love Loteria Grill! Promise me you'll stop by the farmer's market location soon and try the mole poblano tacos. I get them every time I go, they're beyond.

vanillasugarblog said...

what kind of salsa was that? that looks good, I mean it all looks good, but the salsa looks smokey?

Lo said...

LOVE the cheese hat. How fun! And a group of blogger friends is even better!

Joie de vivre said...

What a fun meal! Were those gin and tonics?

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great lunch, everything looks so good.

Sarah said...

One of my co-workers told me about this place yesterday, now I need to visit!

Esi said...

Gaby! So excited to see you this weekend.

Diana and Kathy, I have to go back for more tacos!

Dawn, there was definitely a smokey quality to the salsa. We called it crack salsa.

Joie, they were margaritas

Ice Cream Betches said...

Try the tinga de pollo, quesadilla style next time! It's so good! Plus they make really good platanos (plantains) too that they drizzle with crema. It's pretty good too and I'm very very picky about my platanos (nothing compares to my grandmother's but this is pretty damn close).

Ice Cream Betches said...

oh and the chilaquiles are pretty good too!

Sippity Sup said...

That is indeed a great new addition to Hollywood Blvd. GREG

Alicia Foodycat said...

The cheese hat sounds so good! And as for those frosty drinks - yum!

Active Foodie said...

Yay! I had so much fun at that lunch with you guys! And it was so good seeing you again this weekend!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

what a fun lunch! sorry i missed this post. so glad you introduced me to the cheese hat! lunch again soon please =)

Nicole said...

I ate there recently and liked my enchiladas with mole, but I couldn't get enough of the black beans! They were the best I'd tasted in a while.