Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spring Recipe Ideas

Can you believe it's almost spring? I feel like the winter just flew by. Despite the rainier and colder than normal winter we had here in Southern California, I feel like I didn't see any of it. Especially since it's been 85+ degrees for the past few days. What rain? I am so excited to check out the farmers market this weekend and see what the rain has produced. Here are some ideas for you to use up some of your spring bounty.

Strawberry Galette with Lemon Curd in a Thyme Crust. I love the way this simple free-form pie bridges the gap between spring and summer. Plus it is a wonderful way to use up a lot of lemons. Last month I got a surplus of Meyer lemons from Mary and as of yesterday, I have a surplus of regular lemons from Raul. I already have something delicious planned for the new crop so stay tuned

Strawberry Galette Slice

When it's warmer out, you definitely feel like eating lighter. I love this farro salad with asparagus and tomatoes because it's filling, yet light. I really think farro has replaced quinoa as my favorite grain.

Farro Salad with Asparagus, Tomatoes, and Feta

I've been writing this blog for a while. If you've been reading for a while then you know I love asparagus. Like pink, puffy, giant heart love it. It smells funny, but it's beautiful and I really think I could eat it all day. I have many, many recipes featuring asparagus. I think my favorite of all of them is the springtime cianfotta featuring many bright, green, crisp vegetables. I'm pretty sure I could eat a bowl of this all day long.

Spring Cianfotta

Green beans are also at their peak in the spring time. Try them with a boiled lemon and some chicken breast. Believe me when I say, it's not as strange as it sounds.

Saffron Chicken, Boiled Lemon and Green Bean Salad

Fresh peas are so wonderful and sweet and bright. Pair them with eggs and bacon for a hearty, yet light in feel breakfast or lunch!

Peas with Bacon and Eggs


Spring is when those adorable Girl Scouts come knocking at your door (or accost you at the grocery store) selling their addictive treats. Being a former Girl Scout myself, I find it hard to resist their wares. So naturally, I had to turn them into a delicious treat.


Samoas Ice Cream

Sometimes a simple dessert doesn't have to be baked (or churned). Check out this medley of spring fruits and I promise, you will not be reaching for the cookies after trying this simple treat.

Cherimoya, Kiwi, and Strawberry Salad

Obviously, these are just a few ideas to get you thinking about the warm weather and sunny(ier) skies yet to come.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Erica said...

What a fun post! I'm SO looking forward to spring. I hate any form of cold ;) Our farmers market FINALLY starts back up the first weekend in April. Cannot wait. Mmm fresh asparagus- and don't tease me with that delicious girlscout cookie treat! Hope you have a nice Thursdya

Unknown said...

ah, the weather here has taken a turn for the better and the past two days have been GORGEOUS! definitely has me craving these lovely veggies :) and I'd have to balance it out with that ice cream ;)

Maria said...

I am loving the spring weather! I am so excited for spring foods too! Great round up here!

The Food Librarian said...

Can I just pay you to make all this for me? - mary

Pam said...

Oh, I don't know which one I'd like to dig into first! It all looks delicious! I'm so happy spring is here!

Diana said...

You are forever taunting me with that Samoas ice cream. One day I must have it!

vanillasugarblog said...

omg there's that ice cream again. damn!

Memória said...

The galette looks yummy and refreshing.

shaz said...

Ooh that galette looks good. We are heading into autumn now and as much as I hate seeing the last of all the lovely soft fruit, it's exciting to see crisp apple again.

M. said...

I love this collection of recipes....
the strawberry thyme galette looks especially good. :)

Suzanne said...

Everything in this post looks AMAZING! SO happy I stumbled upon your blog! Can't wait to read more!

Suzanne, www.hautehealth.blogspot.com