Saturday, March 28, 2009

Strawberry Galette with Meyer Lemon Curd in Thyme Crust

Strawberry Galette

So, remember when I told you I did something cool with my lemon curd? Well here it is! As I have mentioned (bragged about) before, the spring produce here in So Cal is looking pretty amazing. Strawberries are kind of year round here, but they are becoming even more abundant and taste better than the ones you find in November. I absolutely love the combination of lemons and strawberries so my first idea was to do a strawberry galette and then drizzle it in the curd. I must admit, the combination of strawberries and thyme is not my own creation. A while ago I saw this recipe on Tartelette and the combo intrigued me. I have made a rosemary pie crust a few times and figured I could do the same thing with thyme. Instead of making just a strawberry galette and serving it with a glob of lemon curd, I spread a thin layer of curd on the bottom of the crust and topped it with a layer of strawberries. I can honestly say I gave myself a pat on the back after making this recipe. In my mind I thought the flavors would work really well together, and the reality was even better than I could have hoped for. The tart curd went just perfectly with the sweet strawberries and the slightly salty crust.

This experiment went better than I could have hoped for. I think it would make a great addition to a nice dinner or an Easter brunch...or a bridal shower, much like the one I am off to right now. Have a great Saturday!

Strawberry Galette Slice




Strawberry and Lemon Curd Galette in Thyme Crust
(By Esi)

1 thyme pate brisee (recipe follows)
Lemon curd
Strawberries, sliced 1/4 inch thick (I used almost a pint, may vary depending on the size of the strawberries)
1 tablespoon honey
1-2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon milk or water for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Mix the strawberries, cornstarch, honey, and lemon juice in a bowl and set aside.

Roll out the crust to about 1/4 inch thick and about 8 inches in diameter. Top with a few tablespoons of lemon curd. Placed the strawberries on top of the curd in an even layer, leaving a one inch ring around. Fold the edges of dough over the strawberries. Brush the dough with the egg wash and bake for 20-25 minutes until the crust is browned and the center is bubbling.

Thyme Pate Brisee
(By Esi)

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
1 stick butter
2-4 tablespoons ice water


Mix the flour, salt, and thyme in a food processor. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal. With the motor running, add the ice water; process only enough to moisten the dough and have it just come together. Dump the dough out onto a floured board and knead quickly into a ball. Wrap the dough in plastic and allow it to rest in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to one hour.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

27 comments:

Nazarina A said...

This is indeed the most beautiful galette I have seen.The thyme crust is brilliant!

Erica said...

mmmm this sounds actually kind of light but totally delicious! VERY nice! I am loving that the strawberries are really coming in nicely now! There is a strawberry festival in Charleston in a few weekends!

Unknown said...

oh my, lovely! the thyme crust is a great pairing :)

Pearl said...

oh my gosh - those strawberries really shine in that galette! so when did you want me to come over for dinner? :D

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

What a great galette you made. Love your crust.

The Food Librarian said...

Oh, so lovely! This is a great way to use lemon curd and those pretty CA strawberries! Have a great weekend!

Maggie said...

Stunning galette! I love the thyme/strawberry combination.

Kerstin said...

Gorgeous! I love the strawberry and lemon flavors together too, and thyme in the crust - very creative!

vanillasugarblog said...

Oh yes this is a nice flavor combo. Thyme crust I bet went wonderfully well with the lemon curd. Did you like it--you never say....

Creative Classroom Core said...

I bet the thyme crust really adds to this recipe. It looks so beautiful! Thanks for sharing another great recipe!

Alicia Foodycat said...

That looks fantastic! I love the idea of the thyme crust with strawberries.

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

You definitely deserve to give yourself a BIG pat on the back for this one. Fresh strawberries, lemons, thyme, pastry - that's just perfect!

The Wind Attack said...

oooh, that looks yummy. Thyme and lemon is a good combo in savory things, so I bet strawberries are great for bringing them to the sweet side!

Is there any left?!?! I want a slice!

Hayley said...

That crust looks insanely good!

Diana said...

Oh wow - those flavors! Something like that would not be safe in my apartment. I'm a big sucker for anything salty and sweet.

Hope the shower goes well today - can't wait to hear about it!

Jacque said...

Mmmm, that does look like a fantastic combination! And so pretty too.

Reeni said...

What a lovely tart!! I bet it tastes divine. I love pairing up herbs like thyme and basil with fruit. The crust sounds wonderful!

Heather said...

holy cow almighty! that looks amazing. bookmarking. right. now!!!!

unconfidentialcook said...

So beautiful! I used to hate lemon curd, but now that I have an endless supply of meyer lemons from my neighbor I've been experimenting and just made something with a lemon curd that I'm crazy about--Frozen Lemon Meringue Bombe, up on my site now. I'd love your thoughts, and will definitely give this a try. Thanks!

Esi said...

You guys are all so sweet.

Pearl, you're welcome any time :)

Dawn, I LOVED it!

Andy, There isn't any left, but give me some notice and I'll make you one.

Pearl said...

Esi thank you for the compliment on my pom sorbet! Absolutely pales in comparison to your gorgeous strawberry galette, but I'd like to think that I'm slowly working my way up to your cheftastic skills! :)

Sara said...

I love how rustic and homemade this looks and I am very jealous of your CA strawberries.

The Duo Dishes said...

Those strawberries look amazing! So bright and fresh. Thyme in a pie crust or tart shell is perfect with apricots, peaches and apples too. Love this.

angela@spinachtiger said...

That looks delicious. I"ve been wanting to make a strawberry galette for a while. See you on twitter.
BTW, I'm doing the 31 days to a better blog.

Kana said...

I really enjoy incorporating fresh herbs from my garden in desserts.This is wonderful!

Paige at The Spice House said...

Wow, there are very few times I miss living in California, but looking at what you've made with Meyer lemons and fresh strawberries while I languish in a produce-less, lingering Chicago winter is definitely one of them. I don't know how I'll survive until farmer's market season!

Ira Rodrigues said...

i stumble upon your blog and i found this recipe, thank you!
* you made my day :)