Friday, March 19, 2010

Beef Bulgogi

Beef Bulgogi


Why, yes, I did just make chicken bulgogi and I have done an easy beef bulgogi before, but I have had bulgogi on the mind lately. While at the Korean market a few weeks ago, I picked up some amazingly thin slices of beef and froze them for a later time. I couldn't stop thinking about them and when I came across another recipe using the bulgogi, I couldn't pass it up. Once again this was so simple and I was able to use some of the ingredients I purchased a few weeks ago for the chicken bulgogi. In particular, the gochujang was easy to add to this and once again provided that sweet and spicy bite that I crave in food like this. I had a real reason for making more bulgogi and I'll share it with you soon.





Beef Bulgogi
(Adapted from Savory Sweet Life)



Makes 2-3 servings

3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablepoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons sesame oil
1/2 of a small yellow onion, halved and sliced
1 teaspoon gochujang
Canola oil for cooking
1/2 pound thinly sliced rib-eye or Angus beef*

*You can find thinly sliced beef at an Asian market. If you don't have access to one, place the beef in the freezer for about 20 minutes before slicing and then cut against the grain.

Whisk all the ingredients together in a medium bowl except beef and onions. When most of the sugar has dissolved, add beef and onion slices to the bowl and massage the marinade with your hands into each slice of beef. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Pan fry, place a few slices of beef in single layers and completely flat on a hot oiled frying pan and fry each side until cooked. Make sure not to overcrowd the pan. You will probably need to do this in batches. Serve warm over rice or noodles.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

Josh would go crazy for this! Our local grocery store actually carries beef sliced thin enough for this recipe (and its usually pretty inexpensive). Great recipe! I hope you have a fabulous weekend

vanillasugarblog said...

I was wondering when you were gonna do something with that beef? Perfect. I am crazy for these types of spices. I wish I had a nice place to go to buy exotic spices. All we have here is LOBSTER!

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious!!!

Krissy @ The Food Addicts said...

yum, this is goooooood stuff!!!

La Bella Cooks said...

This looks delicious. I love those super thin slices to beef and the flavors in this dish sound amazing.

Jenn said...

Yes! This and a bowl of rice and some banchan and I'm happy happy!I have to try making it for myself one of these days. Just as soon as lent is over. hahaha...

MaryMoh said...

That's a very delicious-looking dish. I love everything about Korean food....just so delicious...yum

Memória said...

This dish looks so good and flavorful!! I'll take a bowl or two of this stuff. YUM!

The Cooking Photographer said...

Esi you have access to the best markets. I am green with envy!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yes! I'll be trying this one SOON!

Stella said...

This looks delicious, Esi. I'm going to have to look at the Chicken Bulgogi post now. Oh, and your spring recipes post was so nice. Your food looks so good and wholesome.

Kerstin said...

I'm going to have to look for thinly sliced beef at our butcher because this looks SOO good!

Alicia Foodycat said...

Oh yum! This looks so wonderful!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

all of this korean food talk is making me hungry! what is the reason spill the beans! :)

kellypea said...

I swear I need to stop at the Asian market. I love those thin slices of beef. This is another YUMMY recipe I could avoid sharing with anyone.

Lisa said...

This looks so delicious, Esi! I love bulgogi and this recipe is so simple..I'm actually surprised but happy! Thank you so much for posting it!