Sunday, March 7, 2010

Korean BBQ Chicken (Dak Bulgogi)

Dak Bulgogi

A lot of the recipes I choose to post are born from seeing another recipe and adapting it to what I have on hand. Sometimes I like to go to the farmers market without any real idea of what I am going to make and then just come home and throw something together. Sometimes, I purchase a random ingredient and hope I have things to make it into something amazing. Once in a very random while, I will go all out to create something I have never done before with ingredients I have never used before. A few weeks ago I saw a series of posts on Closet Cooking that suddenly had me craving Korean barbecue. One of the main things that has turned me off from making this at home is that I never seem to have all of the ingredients. However last Saturday, I decided to change that. I took a little field trip to Koreatown to pick up a few ingredients that were missing from my kitchen. I had a great time at the store pondering ingredients I couldn't recognize and hoping that they would somehow magically come together into something I would want to consume.

Koreatown Finds 2/27/10
(I made out with just a *few* things)

I didn't really realize what I had gotten myself into until I started cooking, but once I got started I couldn't stop. When I was done five hours later, I realized I had made something incredible and something I did not want to stop eating.

Korean Chicken Barbeque Wrap

For me, the secret ingredient was the gochujang which is a fermented hot pepper paste. I did about five laps in the market before I discovered row after row of gochujang hidden behind the fresh produce. There were so many varieties, I picked what worked best for my wallet and resusable bag. This recipe was so good! There was smoke, tang, bite, and crunch in every bite. I'm looking forward to sharing all the recipes I used to make it happen over the next few days and a huge special thanks to Lauren of Harb Knock Life for suggesting California Market which is officially my new favorite store in town!

Carlifornia Market
450 S. Western Ave
Los Angeles, CA 90020



Korean BBQ Chicken (Dak Buglgogi)
(From Closet Cooking)



Makes 4 servings

1 pound chicken breast, thinly sliced
1/2 cup gochujang
5 cloves garlic, grated
1 inch-piece ginger, grated
1 small onion, grated
1 Asian pear (grated)
1/2 cup soy sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon brown sugar
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, crushed

Mix everything in a large bowl and marinate for at least an hour.

Cook the meat on a barbecue or in a pan on the stove.

Tip: Place the chicken breasts in the freezer for an hour or two to stiffen them up a bit and they will be much easier to slice thinly.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 comments:

Jenn said...

I can't wait till I can eat meat again. I'm definitely going to make this!!!!

Memória said...

I'm learning Korean so it was fun to try to read the characters on the packages you bought haha.

This dish looks amazing. I must make this for my teacher/friend and me. Thank you posting this dish. I'm looking forward to future, Korean dishes.

vanillasugarblog said...

oh my flavorful stars! girl just send this my way asap. i mean seriously this looks so good. wowza.
i love kevin's recipes too, him and all his 5000 ingredients! he has access to the good stores--we ain't got that here.

Andrea said...

5 hours! Wow, girl, that's determination. Way to go! So when I finally figure out a way to move to Cali, can we please be friends, and can you please show me all of these wonderful grocery stores?

Joie de vivre said...

Oh man! It looks like the store you happened upon was a treasure store!

angela@spinachtiger said...

Last night we were at Local Taco, a non-chain restaurant. We had southern fried barbecue chicken taco AND, Korean barbecue tacos. The korean was the night's winner. This wonderful post comes just in time. Who knew?

Marie said...

Wow, what a haul! And a delicious looking dish. :)

The Duo Dishes said...

Oooh, a new market! Thanks for sharing the name and address. Hopefully you made enough for several days of leftovers after 5 hours of cooking time!

kellypea said...

Looking at this yumminess first thing on a Monday morning and wishing I had a plate for breakfast. OH. MY! Can totally relate to wandering around looking for ingredients in the Asian market trying to figure out what the labels say :) You scored!

Diana said...

It looks sooo good! Guess I don't really need to go out for KBBQ now, right? My clothes will certainly appreciate that! ;)

alec said...

AMAZING! I'm inspired and I'm going to Koreatown tonight!

Gaby said...

OMG yum! You are so brave... I am scared to start cooking korean food because I can't read any of the labels! ha

test it comm said...

Your dak bulgogi and tacos look great!

Active Foodie said...

This looks so good! I need to try my hand at some Koread BBQ, it is one of my all time faves!!

Esi said...

Thanks everyone! This was such a fun meal to make (and eat)

Simones Kitchen said...

It looks delicious! I am gonna see if I can find that in my asian market as well... I had planned to make korean sizzling beef the other day but it didn't happen but now you've inspired me to try out other korean things as well!

Ravenous Couple said...

you're right about the fermented chili paste..that stuff is great..we use it for soon du boo as well.

Chef Fresco said...

We've never made anything Korean before. This looks delicious. I've also never heard of gochujang. I think I would love it though!

Reeni said...

This looks amazing! And well worth the effort of cooking for five hours!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I have been wanting to make Korean bbq chicken for some time. Yours look absolutely ravishing!

John said...

I made this dish this past weekend – and it was AWESOMELY yummy! But the instructions were so simple – ("grill the marinated meat") – that I was left wondering if I was missing something – ie – what to do with all that leftover marinade??? I’m assuming that one lets most of it drip off the chicken (back into the bowl) before cooking. If so - that leaves a lot of potentially(?) good finger-lickin’ stickiness left in the bowl. Is this just tossed? Or could you cook it (to get rid of the raw chicken juices) to make a dipping sauce?

Esi said...

John, if you want, email that marinade down and save it as a terrific dipping sauce. Otherwise, it is perfectly find to discard.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE YOU!!!! Your dishes are super delicious and quite easy to make.. even a guy like me can manage (^^). Many thanks for sharing.