Sunday, March 28, 2010

Mexican Chocolate Cake

Mexican Chocolate Cake

Sometimes I make a recipe and share it with you right away. Sometimes, I make something and it takes over a month to share it with you. Such is the case with this cake...and at least five other recipes I have waiting in my Blogger queue. I really don't have a good excuse for not sharing these except for the fact that I am a busy gal and sometimes I get very distracted. I'm not sure why it took me so long to share this cake with you, but I am going to go ahead and blame it on the pilot season insanity I was experiencing just a few short weeks ago. Well, things have calmed down majorly and I am here to tell you to make this cake. It's full of interesting spices and by a happy mistake made by the original tester, it's FAT FREE!! This cake keeps very well in an air tight container and I found it to be even better the next day. It's surprisingly moist for something that can be called fat free. However, fair warning, just because this cake is fat free does not mean it is sugar free. Proceed with caution. I baked this in a square pan so I could cut easy slices and share with my coworkers as I normally do with desserts unless said treat is drenched with lemon and covered with cream cheese glaze. This cake was up against my mom's, pineapple zucchini bread so I had fair competition, but I think I rose to the occasion.

Mexican Chocolate Cake
(From Serious Eats as adapted from Real Simple)



Makes 10 servings

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cups sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper or chili powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup cold water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, cayenne, and salt. Make two small wells in the mixture. In one, pour in the vinegar. In the other, pour in the vanilla extract. Pour cold water over everything. Stir until moistened and a only a little lumpy.

Pour batter into an 8-inch pan. Bake for 30 or 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then carefully pry out and finish cooling on a wire rack.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Erica said...

Nom Nom! I'm a big fan of chocolatey flavoring with a little kick. And fat free? I'm in. Hope you're having a wonderful weekend

Thistlemoon said...

Cinnamon and chocolate are awesome together - and the balsamic must make the cake nice, tender and moist. DELISH!

Fresh Local and Best said...

I can't believe this is fat-free, it looks so crumbly and moist. I love chocolate with spices, yummy!

Maria said...

Love the added kick and fat free? Great treat!

Unknown said...

a happy accident indeed :) i bookmarked this one, too, now i must make! that or those lemon rolls...

Unknown said...

Cinnamon and chocolate go together so well! Can't wait to try this!

The Food Librarian said...

Esi, These look yummy! Fat Free usually scares me, but I'm comforted by the high volume of sugar. Hee hee. - mary

Jenn said...

I so can't wait until I can eat chocolate once again. One more week!!!!

Jeanne said...

Looks scrumptious! I love anything chocolate, and especially when it's spiced up! Thanks for the recipe.

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

cinnamon and chocolate i love it! but seriously fat free? how? they look like yummy gingerbreads :)

Diane Schmidt said...

oh I wish I could have just one bite! It was nice to meet you at the fbf seminar.

Anonymous said...

OMGWTFITLOOKSSODELICIOUS!

That is all.

Gaby said...

ummmm where were these on Saturday??? haha! They look divine - seriously. And fat free? I think I might have to move in and be your neighbor! Had so much fun with you saturday! xo

La Bella Cooks said...

Love the fat free part! Who can resist a nice slice of chocolate cake...definitely not me.

Diana said...

There you go linking to those darn lemon rolls again!!!! If I didn't like you so much, I'd hate you right now. :)

Totally feel you on the delayed recipes -- it took me 2 months to get that egg salad up! It happens!

Kate @ Savour Fare said...

I am so skeptical about a fat free cake but it looks DELICIOUS. I love Mexican chocolate. It was great seeing you this weekend!

MaryMoh said...

Looks very chocolatey and delicious. I'll go with a cup of chocolate drink :D

Christina said...

The Husband and I made this last night. We added the 1/4 Cup of canola oil that the original recipe calls for. And it was perfectly fluffy and delicious.

Unknown said...

Thanks for that wonderful recipe! I love chocolate and I love my country! Chocolate is one of those original mexican flavors that the world doesn't even know it belongs here!