Monday, March 22, 2010

Japchae with Beef Bulgogi

Japchae with Bulgogi

I think I may have been Korean in another life. Lately, I just can't get enough Korean food. I remember the first time I had japchae at a friend's birthday party many many years ago. It was so good, I could not stop eating it. I had no idea it was so easy to recreate at home otherwise I would have made it myself a long time ago. Now, it is very rare that you will see me cook with mushrooms. I just have never liked them. I'm weird, I know. However, I do appreciate a good portabello or shiitake once in a blue moon so a while back I had picked up some dried wild mushrooms at TJs. This was the perfect time to use them up. The mushrooms provide a wonderful earthiness to this dish and are really a key ingredient so if you're like me and think you don't like them, I urge you not to skip them if you try this. The meat adds a nice sweet contrast and this is full of enough vegetables to not make you feel guilty. So...what's the next Korean dish I should try?

Japchae with Beef Bulgogi
(Japchae adapted from Whisk the Pantry)

Makes 2-3 servings

Canola oil
1 medium carrot, peeled with a vegetable peeler
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
1 baby bok choy, sliced
3 green onions, sliced on a bias into 1-inch pieces
Small handful dried wild mushrooms, soaked for 15-20 minutes
1/2 bunch of cellophane noodles
2-3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Bulgogi beef

Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Add in the noodles. Cook for 5-8 minutes, or until they have softened. Drain and set aside.

While the noodles are cooking, heat a bit of oil in another large frying plan; saute onion until golden brown. Add in the carrot, bok choy, green onions and the mushrooms, stir and cook for another 5 minutes. When the vegetables have softened, add the noodles and the beef. Cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the soy sauce and sesame oil, stir and toss to combine.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar


Pam said...

It looks and sounds delicious! And it is very colorful also! Yum!

Erica said...

Looks beautiful! I do not like mushrooms either! Josh and I got married in what is known in PA as "mushroom country", so our venue offered mushrooms in pretty much all dishes. We had them remove them from EVERYTHING! Not a mushroom was allowed anywhere near our guests haha. Happy Monday

Shannon said...

don't like mushrooms?!? that's ok ;) i don't know that i've ever had korean... what dish would you recommend I try first??

sarah j. gim said...

LOVE all these korean recipes that you're doing! you've gotta be more korean than i am!

MaryMoh said...

That's such an awesome Korean dish! I love it. I can never have enough of Korean delicious!

dawn said...

that looks easy. please, stay on this kick for a while. i'm loving it.

Diana said...

I love japchae too! The first time I had it was at Gyenari and I think it was my favorite thing I ate that night -- even more than the meat!

Bravo you for using mushrooms! Baby steps. :)

Memória said...

I'm enjoying your Korean dishes, too!! I don't think I was Korean in my past life, but I know that I want to be Korean in my next life haha. This dish looks amazing.

Hungry Dog said...

Looks amazing. I made chop chae for the first time about a year ago and fell in love with it. Yours looks incredible!

Jenn said...

Delish!!! I must master the beef bulgogi first, then I can move on to different variation for it. I feel like having Korean tonight.

Bridgett said...

I am enjoying this kick of yours as it is inspiring me to try more. This looks delicious as usual.

Esi said...

Erica, that's hilarious! I would have done the same thing.

Shannon, try this!! It's super easy and quick to put together.

Sarah and Dawn, I'm already thinking about the next recipe...

Antonietta said...

WOW! I want to eat this right now!! (and it is almost midnight here!)

yoursdeliciously said...

..add a side dish of kimchi and WOW!

shaz said...

I adore Korean food too, never knew japchae was this easy. Yum! And I love bulgogi, bibimbab and kimchi.

How about something with kimchi next?