Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Beef Bulgogi

I get so many recipes from other blogs and websites that once in a while, I like to go through my books to find something I have missed. This is one of those recipes that I think I saw a while ago and just tucked it away for another time. Raulito and I went to the farmers market all excited to get some grass fed beef and guess what? The meat man wasn't there!!! It was kind of annoying but since I had already worked this dish into my week's meals so I decided to get some beef at TJ's. Ok, let's talk about the bulgogi. It's really, freakin' delicious. The recipe calls for the meat to be served in lettuce cups, but lettuce cups aren't exactly practical for my work lunches. Thank goodness I had some rice (which is actually another suggestion in the book). The rice was a nice bed for the meat and sauces and it was a lovely combo of spicy, salty, and sweet. I am not a fan of bell peppers so I left them off. I garnished with some chopped cilantro. If you like bell peppers, go ahead and throw them in!


Beef Bulgogi
(Adapted from Everyday Food: Great Food Fast)

3/4 pound rib-eye steak, trimmed of excess fat
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
Dash of red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
1 red onion, halved and cut into 1-inch wedges
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
Cooked rice for serving

Freeze the beef for 20 minutes; transfer to a clean work surface. Slice diagonally (across the grain) into 1/8-inch thick strips. In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Place the onions in a small bowl; toss with half the soy marinade. Toss the steak in the remaining marinade; let stand for 15 minutes.

Heat 1 teaspoon of the vegetable oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened; about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe the skillet clean with a paper towel.

Heat the remaining teaspoon of vegetable oil over high heat. Cook half the meat, turning often until browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer to the plate with the onions. Add the remaining meat and cook until browned. Add the onions and first batch of meat and any accumulated juices to the pan. Cook, tossing until heated through, about 1 minute. Serve over cooked rice.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Diana said...

That looks great! And is making me super hungry for some red meat! I tried finding a recipe in one of my mom's cookbooks this weekend, but sort of failed. I missed all the pictures and comments!

Cate said...

Mmm, we're big fan of Bulgogi here - printing now so we can try this version. Mouth already watering...

Anonymous said...

Sweet and spicy is right. More spice! :) Brown sugar and red onions are the cherry on this cake.

Esi said...

Diana, I totally need pictures. My friend gave me the Bon Appetit cookbook which is HUGE and has like five pictures. It's hard.

Cate, it's so good! I am totally having it for lunch today (again).

Duo Dishes, I have it with a little spicy chili sauce on the side. Delish!

Anonymous said...

I do the same thing with recipes. I try to re-read cookbooks and magazines to make all the things I earmarked.

Erica said...

OWWWW yum. This is a great use for red meat! Loving it. If I worked at TJ's I'd buy tons of food every day ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

anything with ginger in it gets my vote!
I like my meats spicy just like I like my men! Ahhhh, I'm so funny!

Reeni said...

It looks good and has such great flavors in it! I have a hard time without pictures, too. I think they should be mandatory in cookbooks!

Unknown said...

ooh, yum. how cool would working at TJ's be? :)

Esi said...

Dawn, you crack me up!

Erica, I don't know if I could really work there because I think I would have the same problem!

Reeni, I agree 100%!

Angie said...

i have made this recipe and i posted it on my own blog because i loved it so much! good call, great post!

Joie de vivre said...

I know what you mean, I'm getting a plethora of great recipes bookmarked. I'm glad this one turned out great!

Andrea said...

YUM! This looks delicious and I love the rice to soak up all of that goodness!

Anonymous said...

This looks amazing - I love to look through books but so often forget to go back....

The Blonde Duck said...

I LOVE your Greek turkey burgers!

Anonymous said...

"freakin' delicious", huh? I've been trying new recipes on my family. Gonna try this one, too! Thanks! :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

I've been craving Korean food recently - and this didn't help at all! It looks so good.

Heather said...

i've never tried this but it looks and sounds amazing! it will definitely go on my list!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

My goodness, that looks so yummy! In fact, I'm putting bulgogi up in the rotation for next week's meals. Thanks!

Nurit "1 family. friendly. food." said...

Going to make this tonight. (Linked to your post)

Wade Balsdon said...

This looks and sounds absolutely delicious.