Thursday, February 26, 2009

Honey Whole Wheat Scones

Warning, this post contains Top Chef finale spoilers. If you haven’t watched the episode, come back after you have. You’ve been warned.


How pissed were you about Hosea winning TC 5? I normally prefer to not comment on the show and leave it up to the experts, but last night’s finale made me so mad, I actually yelled at my TV for about ten minutes after it ended. After the departure of my favorite Italian, I didn’t really have a favorite, but I would have been fine with Stefan who, let’s face it, as cocky as he may be, cooked some pretty amazing food…or even googly eyed Carla who fought her way to the top three with her crazy expressions and cooking with love. I actually think it is quite unfair for the judges to base the decision on who should be Top Chef on just one night of cooking. It kind of negates the fact the cheftestants have been cooking their hearts out for however many weeks. They should change the name of the show to Top Chef…of that night. Ugh. Ok, enough ranting. Remember when I told you guys about this cool tool I recently discovered which has been really amazing in helping me plan my weekly meals. Well, sometimes recipes still sneak their way into my week even though I didn’t plan them. After a particularly stressful pilot season day yesterday, I knew I was going to have to take the edge off with a glass of wine and some good ole arm work of cutting butter into flour. Of course those calming influences were completely ruined from watching TC and my stupid internet going out. Seriously, is anyone else in LA having the same problem of Time Warner cable going out every day around 8:30-9? It is becoming the most frustrating thing to deal with. Last night it lasted for two hours! I should get at least a month free with all the headaches it has caused.

Just call today, Rant Thursday.


I’m not sure how I found this recipe, but I am so glad I did. I am trying to add a little more whole grain to my life so I did this with half whole wheat flour. I also added a pinch of cinnamon for a little something extra. The only sweetness in this recipe comes from the honey so these are a very mild type of scone that go perfectly with strawberry preserves. I am fond of the no pectin variety from Harry’s Berries in Oxnard, CA (think globally, act locally). They are also really good with a piece of cheese (don’t knock it till you try it). I'm a little tired and very stressed this week, so I apologize that it's taking me longer to reply to comments and visit your blogs. Thanks for understanding!


Honey Whole Wheat Scones
(Adapted from The Repressed Pastry Chef)

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
One or two dashes cinnamon (optional)
4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 tablespoons honey
1 cup heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Combine flours, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Cut in the butter until crumbly. In a small bowl whisk together the honey and the cream, add to the dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until just combined.

Lightly flour a work surface and form the dough into a circle. Cut into eight triangle-shaped pieces and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden brown on the top. Cool for 5 minutes in pan and then transfer to a rack and cool for another 5 minutes. Serve warm

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

Diana said...

So much to respond to!!

First, TOTALLY agree about the horrible, no good, very bad ending to Top Chef last night. I'm seriously disgusted! Hosea?? Really??? Really??!? Erggh!!!

Second, my roommate and I were having a heck of a time with our internet too last night! I didn't realize it was a whole Time Warner thing -- I figured it was just our place!

Third, the scones look AMAZING. I bet they would be great with that fig jam I still have in my fridge. Yum!

veggie belly said...

I yelled at my tv too! I was fully expecting stefan or carla to win. I have to say, this was a disappointing finale.

Your scones look great. I can never get scones right, I dont think I do the butter-cutting properly :(

Anonymous said...

I was really pulling for Carla and was very upset that she let Kasey push her around. AAAHHHH!!! What was she thinking? She would have won is she stuck to her usual game plan, I just know it. And I'm glad Stephan didn't win. Maybe he could cook but he needed a let down to let him know that he's not king of the stinkin' culinary world.

Hey, I just tweaked my mom's potato soup recipe and made the most unbelievable soup ever! I can't blog about it on butter cakes...just wouldn't be right. Would you like the recipe to try for yourself? Email me: buttercakesbyevan (at) comcast (dot) net.

vanillasugarblog said...

something about carla reminds me of friggin BEAKER from the muppets!

Do you think one could use 2 cups of whole wheat flour in this?

Anonymous said...

Nice lighting!

Sorry I can't comment on Top Chef . . . I try really hard to avoid tv, it always fires up my ire.

Reeni said...

I don't even know what to say about Top Chef! I'm mad and so disappointed, and still in shock! This has been the worst season ever!!

Your scones look lovely, and I hope they are helping your stress. The weekends almost here, Esi, just one more day to get through and hopefully you can have some down time.

Esi said...

Diana, I'm still boiling over the finale, but I just read the review on Eater LA which made me giggle. And YES, Time Warner is totally evil. It's been almost every night that my internet goes out. So frustrating.

Sala, I use a dough cutter, but I have also used two knives with the same results.

Ev, I couldn't believe that Carla just didn't go with her own instincts and do her own food. I mean, Casey lost for a reason, right?

Dawn, Carla totally looks like Beaker! Hilarious. I am sure you could do 2 cups of whole wheat flour, but you may want to adjust other measurements so they don't come out too dry. I am still experimenting with getting baking measurements correct, so I am not sure what the ratios would be.

Aleta, you are a wise woman. I probably should watch less tv :)

Reeni, totally agreed that it was the worst season (minus Fabio of course, lol). And I can't wait until the weekend is here. Just have to get through the next couple of days!

Anonymous said...

You said honey and scones and that was it. Amazing! Too bad we haven't kept up with Top Chef, but we've come across many unhappy folks today who didn't like how it ended.

Anonymous said...

And...just when I thought these might be too healthy/too bland for me, I see that scone drooling with preserves. Yum!

The Blonde Duck said...

Those scones look really good!

Unknown said...

I'm with you on top chef... and these scones :)

The Food Librarian said...

Don't get me started on Top Chef! I can't believe Hosea won! what the heck?!? I was so sad about Carla. Good to see Fabio one more time though! Oh yes, great looking scones and jam!

Hayley said...

I am so glad you brought up Top Chef. I was soooo mad! Stefan is clearly the best chef, I mean how many challenges did the guy win? And yeah, he is cocky, but I loved him. He was always so sweet with the girls, and kissing everyone on their cheeks. And when he was comforting Carla when she started to cry, I just love him.

Anyways, the scones. They look super, and I love the healthful ingredients. Thanks for sharing!

S & J said...

This scone looks perfect for my Saturday morning breakfast baking time. I may try this tomorrow morning, unless the boys beg for waffles, AGAIN!

Anonymous said...

Esi, these look wonderful. I just love scones. I didn't like Hosea either!

Anonymous said...

Your scone looks great.

I am really excited to find whole wheat recipes as I have switching whole wheat flour for all purpose in baking recipes recently.

I was so disappointed in TC. It just seems like a lame ending.

VirginiaWestfield said...

These scones look great. I don't make them more frequently myself because I find that I absolutely must eat the entire batch rather than just one with my tea.

Heather said...

i was so pissed about hosea! fabio should have won!! i love him. sigh. these scones sound good, though :)

Esi said...

Days later, I am still stewing over this Hosea win! Thank you all for your nice comments :)

badbin said...

I discovered your blog after googling for whole wheat honey scones, and made them today... YUM! Great recipe, thanks for sharing. Funny that you find butter-cutting therapeutic... I hate it... I grate in frozen butter with a cheese grater instead. :)

Esi said...

badbin, thank you! Yes, something about cutting butter helps relieve my tension, but grating it is much easier :)