Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Honey Pancakes with Greek Yogurt and Pistachios

Lucky Heather got a snow day last week and used her time off to make these amazing sounding Honey Pistachio Pancakes. I haven't had a snow day since I was 11, but I wanted to make the pancakes too. I originally wanted to make these over the weekend, but found myself having them for dinner the other night instead. I had to change a couple of things. I used part whole wheat flour and since I didn't have any pistachio extract around, I used vanilla. I have a rather large container of honey and went a little heavy handed with it so the honey taste was very pronounced in both the pancakes and yogurt topping, but since I love honey, I didn't mind. I loved the sweet pancakes with the sweet and tart yogurt topping. I definitely need to practice my pancake flipping skills. Mine came out a little thin, but they were fun to make and even better to eat!

Honey Pancakes with Greek Yogurt and Pistachios
(Adapted from Diary of a Fanatic Foodie)

Pancakes:
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 tablespoon honey
Splash of vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

Topping:
4-5 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon honey
1 tablespoon raw unsalted pistachios, roughly chopped

To make the pancakes:
In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until well combined.

Cook the pancakes over medium heat. Flip when the sides become firm, and the pancake has an even distribution of air bubbles throughout the batter.

To make he topping:
Whisk together the yogurt and honey.

Top pancakes with the yogurt mixture and sprinkle with pistachios.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds fantastic! I never thought to have pancakes with yogurt.

Anonymous said...

This sounds a lovely combination - I haven't come across pistachio extract though. Interesting & shall keep my eyes open when out shopping.

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious! I'm interested to give it a try.

Diana said...

I love pancakes for dinner! I actually had them last night -- sooooo good! They are such a happy food! :)

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These pancakes look amazing!

Jessica604 said...

Sounds like a healthy yet indulgent dish! I love that you mixed something typically viewed as "filler food" with healthy yogurt, pistachios, and whole wheat flour.

Thanks for your comment!

Erica said...

YUM! I have been thinking about these since I saw them on Heather's blog! Yours look fabulous!!

The Food Librarian said...

I would love this for breakfast! or lunch! or dinner!

Esi said...

Sara, I never would have thought to put yogurt on pancakes either, but I really liked it.

Fiona, I didn't have pistachio extract either, but now I am interested in finding some.

Our Life, it was really good!

Diana, pancakes are definitely happy food! Especially for dinner!

JS, thanks!

Jessica, totally yummy and definitely not too bad for you.

Erica and Ben, thanks!

Food Librarian, it's great for all three!!

vanillasugarblog said...

Hmm ok, I think I'm willing to try yogurt on pancakes. I mean I love both so why not?

Apples and Butter said...

Pretty picture! I love pancakes and pistachios so I will definitely have to try this!

Heather said...

i'm glad you liked them! your picture is gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

I'll have to get my husband to make these on Sunday. He's the pancake maker in the house. Love the honey with the Greek yogurt. Almost no buttah, too! That's a bonus.

Unknown said...

omg i wanted these the first time i saw them. now? jeez, i might have to make them this weekend!

Tyler said...

i love pancakes!! these look amazing! i like adding nuts on my pancakes, but i've never tried pistachios before....yum!

Hayley said...

I've been on a honey kick lately, and these sound wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

Reeni said...

They look delicious!! I love honey, I've been trying to use it instead of sugar wherever I can. Such a comforting breakfast, yummy.

Sharon said...

This is so different than anything I've tried before. The sweet & tart combo sounds amazing. Beautiful photo too!

Summer said...

These sound amazing! We're having a Greek-themed dinner party tonight. If I had seen these sooner, I would have added them to the menu.