Sunday, February 22, 2009

Baked Shrimp Scampi

Happy Oscar day!! Are you guys watching the big show? Even though it can be a little boring, I always make time to watch the Oscars. Even before I worked in the movie and television industry, I was a huge fan of the Oscars. Have you guys seen any of the movies nominated? It's one of the first years in recent history that I have made it a point to watch all of the movies nominated for best picture. I think Slumdog will take the cake! It's amazing. I'm still not sure what I will be doing later today in celebration, but if you are looking for an idea of a nice dish to serve, look no further. If you love shrimp and garlic (and really, who doesn't?), you will like this dish. My only complaint was that it was a little heavy on the salt (and for once I measured). Other than that, I really enjoyed the flavors in this recipe. I though that since rosemary can be kind of strong, it would dominate the other flavors, but everything worked really nicely together. Of course, with all that butter, this is definitely a special occasion kind of dish, but aren't the Oscars a special occasion? Happy viewing!



Baked Shrimp Scampi
(Adapted from Ina Garten)

Makes about 3 servings

1 pound of large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails on
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon dry white wine
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced shallot (about 1 large shallot)
1 1/2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 large egg yolk
1/3 cup panko
Lemon wedges for serving

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees, F.

Place the shrimp in a mixing bowl and gently toss with the olive oil, wine, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Allow to sit at room temperature while you make the butter and garlic mixture.

In a small bowl, mash the softened butter with the garlic, shallot, parsley, rosemary, red pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice, egg yolk, panko 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until combined.

Starting from the outer edge of a 8x8 bowl, arrange the shrimp in a single layer cut side down with the tails curling up and towards the center of the dish. Pour the remaining marinade over the shrimp. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the shrimp. Bake for 10-12 minutes until hot and bubbly. If you like the top browned, place under a broiler for 1 minute. Serve with lemon wedges.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

catherine @ www.unconfidentialcook.com said...

My daughter and I love shrimp, but my husband is allergic to shellfish. This looks delicious...and I also invite you to try Parioli Skewered Shrimp on my site.
Happy viewing!

Donna-FFW said...

Wow, Esi!! This looks wondeful. I make Ina Garten shrimp scampi over linguine all the time, and its wonderful. I will have to try this adaptation.

vanillasugarblog said...

Oscars are ok. My father used to dabble in the movie producing biz, and meeting some of the top producers made me not like hollywood so much. Some of those top producers are GIANT babies. L.David & Speilberg were the only nice ones. Those guys with the last name beginning with W are so narcissistic & spoiled, but that's h-wood.
I'm supposed to talk about your shrimp! LOL
I love your shrimp Esi! I love having mine of sticky sushi rice.

Heather said...

yum!! that sounds delicious!

i've seen all the noms except the reader. i was really bummed grand torino didn't get nominated for anything, i liked it a lot. i think it definitely deserved a BP nom over benjamin button. i liked button a lot, but didn't really find it oscar worthy. i think slumdog will probably take it, i thought it was a great movie. i also thought the wrestler was good on its own - not just because of mickey rourke. he was really good, though.

Reeni said...

I love everything in this!! It is one of my favorite dishes, yours looks gorgeous. I love to watch the Oscars! Unfortunately I haven't seen many of the movies nominated, yet!

RecipeGirl said...

This looks quite delicious! I haven't seen any of the movies nominated.. not even Slumdog!! Hard to get out when little ones are at home :(

Cathy - wheresmydamnanswer said...

WOW this looks so incredible - I am a big Ina fan and love your version!!

Diana said...

YUM. I am a huge garlic and shrimp fan -- wish I was eating this tonight!

Hope you are enjoying the oscars so far! I'm not a fan of Miley Cyrus' dress...

Anonymous said...

oh my this sounds AWESOME :D

Esi said...

I love the mixed views about the show.

I'm watching now, besides hopefully winning my Oscar pool, I am kinda meh about the show. It's pretty bad so far.

Dawn, so funny about the W's. I have worked with them just a little and know exactly what you mean.

Heather, The Reader is really good. I think Kate's gonna win if not for the sympathy vote.

Reeni, I hope you get a chance to see Slumdog and Milk...both so brilliant

Recipe Girl, hope you at least get to see the movies when they are out on DVD...All the best pic nominees this year are amazing!

Diana, I think Miley's chipmunk face is more of the problem..LOL

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful dish! Shrimp scampi always looks good but so oily. This cuts that out! Thanks for sharing!