Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Rice Noodle Soup with Shrimp

When you're not feeling so great and you have a rainy day off from work, all you want is soup, right? I had been thinking about this soup for a while, but I finally got around to making it yesterday. In between bites of my mock Pinkberry, I was slurping on this soup. It's delicious and easy and can be changed up so may ways. Below I am giving amounts for how I made it, but please know anything can be added or subtracted or omitted and you will still probably end up with a delicious product. The noodles really seemed to soak up the broth so leftovers were more just noodles than soup, but it was still delicious. It is a really fast recipe and so comforting when you are in the mood for something warming.



Rice Noodle Soup with Shrimp
(By Esi)

Makes 2 servings

3-4 cups vegetable stock (you can also use chicken stock or whatever stock you have on hand,, or a combination of stock and water)
1/2 package rice noodles
2 cloves garlic, grated
1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
Splash low-sodium soy sauce
8-10 shrimp
2 green onions, sliced
1 head bok choy, roughly chopped
Sesame oil for drizzling
Salt (as needed)

Bring the stock, ginger, garlic, and soy sauce to a boil. Add the noodles and cook for about 6 minutes. Reduce to a simmer. Add the shrimp and cook until the shrimp turn pink. Stir in the bok choy and cook for another minute or two. Check soup for seasoning. Add salt as needed.

Divide the soup among bowls. Top with scallions and a drizzle of the sesame oil.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

youseela73 said...

Add some white pepper for a nice little bite to it.

Also, if you like sesame oil and spicy, they have spicy sesame oil. :)

Diana said...

I've been meaning try something like that too! I was planning on usiing tofu, but I think I like the idea of shrimp better.

Hayley said...

I love rice noodles, and this dish looks so comforting. Thanks for sharing!

vanillasugarblog said...

I have those same towels! LOL
I really need some noodle soup to warm me up today since my day started at 5am. Do you know how cold it is outside at 5am?

Olga said...

Absolutely perfect!

Sharon said...

This sounds absolutely perfect! I always have problems posting soup recipes because I make them up as I go. Hope you're feeling better & the rain stays away!

Esi said...

Glen, I am going to try and find some spicy sesame oil. Maybe we should do a shopping trip soon!

Diana, tofu would be excellent as well.

Hayley, it's so warming and simple too.

Dawn, um 5AM?! I haven't see that time of day in a long time! I bet it's freeeeezing! I love my WS towels. One of the few purchases I made when I used to work there.

Olga, thanks!

Sharon, I know exactly what you mean. I tried to measure things out this time, but soups are definitely one of those recipes that you can just add as you go.

Reeni said...

You always have the most beautiful shrimp. This looks so fresh and delicious!

veggie belly said...

I made something similar a few weeks ago. But I think I over cooked the noodles. I like that you use rice noodles, I should try your recipe sometime. Ever since he saw kung fu panda, my husband has a great interest in noodle soup :)

Erica said...

mmmm simple & delicious! Noodles and shrimp taste wonderful together! Hope your week is going well!

Heather said...

mmmm. i am only recently starting to like shrimp, but these look delicious! i love a good noodle soup :)

Unknown said...

simple and delicious!

Anonymous said...

May I ask what brand of rice noodles is good? I tried one that turned soggy and sticky when I boiled it & ended up throwing it away. Wonderful comfort soup idea. Thanks!

Esi said...

Anonymous, I used Three Ladies Brand. It was actually in a box full of stuff from a friend of my roommate so I didn't choose the brand myself.