Thursday, February 5, 2009

Paprika Cheddar Drop Biscuits

Apparently it's Martha Stewart week here on Dishing Up Delights. I didn't do it intentionally, I just had several recipes saved and they all happened to be from Martha. Here's another one. I found this courtesy of Joy the Baker. Did you see them? I made them because I wasn't in the mood to bake bread this weekend. I am so glad I did. They are phenomenal. They only take a few minutes to put together (even with the shredding of cheese). I completely forgot to sprinkle paprika on top. It didn't matter, they were still really good. I ate three within a few hours of each other. They are really, really good with scrambled eggs which is the way I have been enjoying them this week. They are also really good with a drizzle of honey.



Paprika Cheddar Drop Biscuits
(From Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook)

Makes 8 giant biscuits or 12 smaller biscuits

2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon paprika, plus more for dusting
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into pieces
1 heaping cup finely grated cheddar cheese
1 1/2 cups heavy cream

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, sugar and paprika. Using a pastry blender, or your fingers, cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course meal with a few larger clumps remaining. Stir in the cheese with a fork.

Add the cream; using a rubber spatula, stir until the dough just comes together. The dough will be slightly sticky; don’t over mix. Using a 1/2-cup measure (for giant biscuits) or a 1/4-cup or 1/3-cup for smaller biscuits, scoop mounds of dough about 1 1/2-inches apart of the prepared baking sheet. Lightly dust with paprika.

Bake, rotating the sheet halfway through baking, until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Slide parchment and biscuits onto a wire rack to cool or let biscuits cool on pan for 5 minutes before removing onto a wire rack with a spatula. Serve warm or at room temperature.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

They sound a fabulous accompaniment to scrambled eggs - biscuits (or scones as we call them) are best fresh, so you ate them at the right time!

Erica said...

Sounds heavenly!

Diana said...

Oh wow - I never realized biscuits are that simple! They look fabulous -- I may have to try these...

Anonymous said...

These sound delicious!!

Anonymous said...

I will DEFINITELY make these. They combine two of three of my kids' favorite things: biscuits and cheese! (OK, two of MY favorite things as well.)

vanillasugarblog said...

Glad you put a bit of honey on it. Nothing like warm biscuits & honey.

Reeni said...

I bet they are real tender with all that heavy cream in them! How delicious!

test it comm said...

Cheesy bread is always good. I like the use of the paprika in these!

Unknown said...

LOVE them, and i saw them over there, too :)

Esi said...

Thanks everyone!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

These look scrumptious. I have some leftover cheddar here and I love the combination of paprika and cheddar. Thanks!

Donna-FFW said...

These look absolutely phenomenal. Love your choice of word. Your photo is gorgeous. I am making these next time I make some soup. YUM!!!

Katy said...

Oh I'm so glad I saw this on tastespotitng! I just made a batch and it was ridiculously simple, fast, and delicious! I changed tha baking time and temp because my oven is old and erratic but they are just PERFECT!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I love the idea of these with scrambled eggs! Yum!

Esi said...

Katherine, I am glad they worked out for you. So easy, huh?