Monday, April 2, 2012

Brunch at Longman & Eagle

Four of my LA blogging friends got to Chicago the same day as me for a weekend full of fun and food. They dubbed it #ChiTownChowDown and mapped out all of the places they wanted to visit in a short period. I was able to join them for a little bit and we sure did chow down. It felt a bit gluttonous, but it was a great way to introduce myself to the city's vibrant food scene.

Early on Tuesday, we attempted to go to Hot Doug's, but they were unfortunately closed for the day. The night before, the rest of the gang had feasted at Longman & Eagle and loved it so much, they decided they wanted to go back for more. This restaurant/hotel is so unassuming, you could miss it walking down the street (I almost did), but inside it's bustling and fun and dare I say, my new favorite place.

Longman & Eagle Brunch Menu

I started with a Beermosa ($6). It's just beer (in this case Hacker-Pschorr Weiss) and OJ, but really does taste like a regular mimosa.

Beermosa

While I was waiting for the rest of the group to arrive. I saw a diner eating from the Plougman's Platter ($13) and I knew I was going to try to find a way to have the same platter make it's way to our table. Luckily, everyone else was in agreement and we split the speck, farm greens, apricot spread, soft boiled egg topped with Boquerones (anchovies), and bread between the five of us.

Ploughman Platter

We also split the maple bacon doughnut ($3.50). The fluffy donut is topped with a not too sweet maple glaze and crunchy candied bacon. It hits that perfect combination of sweet and salty with a nice texture from the bacon.

Maple Bacon Doughnut

For the main event, I ordered fried chicken and waffles ($12). Juicy fried chicken is served on top of fluffy waffles and a sweet potato and pork belly hash with a side of maple syrup. It's just decadent enough, but not greasy. This was a popular dish of the day, and by the time my plate made it's way back to me, a lot of the waffle and hash were gone. Thanks friends!

Fried Chicken, Waffles, Sweet Potato & Pork Belly Hash, Maple Syrup

Andy ordered the Slagel Family farms burger with aged Widmer's cheddar and Neuske's bacon on a brioche bun ($12). The burger patty was thick and juicy and perfectly cooked, but unfortunately those attributes were overshadowed by a slightly stale and dry bun.

Slagel Family Farms Burger, Aged Widmer’s Cheddar, Neuske’s Bacon, Brioche Bun

One of the other popular dishes of the day was the Pork Belly Cubano ($11). The bread is stuffed with the aforementioned pork belly, ham, Fontina cheese, Dijonaise, and housemade zuchinni pickles. It comes with a generous serving of the restaurant's famous beef fat fries (or salad if you feel like something lighter).

Cubano with Beef Fat Fries

Fiona had the sunny side duck hash with duck confit, shallots, potatoes, and black truffle vinaigrette ($12). The dish has had great truffle flavor and the eggs with runny yolks were a treat as always, but the general consensus was that we wish there had been more duck.

Sunny Side Duck Egg Hash with Duck Confit, Nichols Farm Spring Onions, Yukon Gold Potato, Black Truffle Vinaigrette

The Peeky Toe Crab Benedict ($13) was full of real, meaty sweet crab. The eggs were a little underdone, but the crab outshined that small misstep.

Peeky Toe Crab Benedict with One Hour Eggs, Old Bay Infused Hollandaise

Despite the fact that we were stuffed beyond belief, HC insisted on ordering the French toast ($10) as dessert. It is a brioche toast topped with glazed apples, whipped maple syrup, and brown butter crumbles. It's sweet, but not shockingly so with a bit of tartness from the apples. Death by French toast was so worth it.

Spiced Brioche French Toast, Glazed Klug Farm Apples, Whipped Maple Syrup, Brown Butter Crumble

I tried to convince my friends that they should stay an extra night at the adjoining hotel, but alas, they had to catch their flights and head back to reality. Longman & Eagle does good, simple food in an interesting way and I cannot wait to visit again.

Longman & Eagle
2657 North Kedzie Ave.
Chicago, IL 60647
(773) 276-7110
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

marla said...

The food looks great ~ really digging their logos and branding too.

Erica said...

Beermosa? Brilliant!! Chicken and waffles is so popular here but i am yet to try it

susan said...

I think restaurant critic is in your near future!

Gastronomer said...

Must return to Chi-Town for that doughnut!!

Banana Wonder said...

What a fantastic brunch! Maybe it's just as well the other pace wasn't open. I need to see what this beermosa is all about. Hope all is well out there and next time, I am coming to visit!

vanillasugarblog said...

peeky toe crab! have you ever seen those in their natural form? pretty wild looking.
and that bacon covered dohickey is AMAZING. the photos are really good too.

Joanne said...

OMG that brunch! I would have probably just gotten the insane-o french toast and accepted the food coma that was sure to follow.

Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] said...

Wow. I am just blown away at the photos. I feel like I can smell and taste brunch! I can't stop thinking about that doughnut.

elly said...

I have been wanting to go to L&E FOREVER and still haven't made it! You're here a week and have already gone. :) I'm going to email you right now, since I keep forgetting...

lisa is cooking said...

This meal sounds like so much fun! Love the duck hash and chicken and waffles. And, now I have to try a beermosa.

Diana said...

I finally had fried chicken and waffles for the first time last weekend... in Rancho Cucamonga of all places!!! Next stop... Roscoe's!

Kristina Vanni said...

Wow-such neat flavor combinations. I travel to Chicago frequently and will have to try this place next time I'm in Chicago!