Thursday, April 12, 2012

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles

Before I left LA, I had to do one last lunch at a Los Angeles institution. The last time I attempted Roscoe's was seven years ago when I was a pescatarian and also was more concerned with meeting up with my friends for Sunday Funday than devouring a plate of fried and floury goodness. Once again, I must reiterate "my how things have changed". On my last full day in LA, my friend Ben insisted that this is what we would have for our last lunch. With the previous obstacles no longer in my way, who was I to object?

Scoe at Roscoes

We each ordered the 'Scoes ($10.70). The dish is comprised of 1/4 chicken (dark meat for both of us) with 2 buttermilk waffles. I'm fairly certain the maple syrup was Aunt Jemima or some other generic brand, but I was too busy devouring the waffles and chicken to care too much. The waffles are kind of doughy and pair perfectly with the moist chicken. It's still such an odd combination to me, but one that I am strangely attracted to (as evidenced by my recent order at Longman & Eagle). Plus, hey, if it's good enough for Obama, it's good enough for me.


One year ago: Roasted Chicken
Two years ago: Whole Wheat Pasta with Fiddleheads and Ramps
Three years ago: Smoked Salmon and Poached Egg Salad

Roscoe's House of Chicken 'n Waffles
5006 W. Pico Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90019
(323) 934-4405 or (323) 936-3730
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Erica said...

Hugely popular disc in sc! Ive never actually had it!

Heather Christo said...

oh my gosh- I was just literally having this "waffles and chicken?" conversation with a friend. It is hard to wrap my brain around. But I will have to try it next time I am in La out of sheer curiosity!

lynn said...

perfect send-off! i actually ate there before i moved to LA...

Gastronomer said...

And speaking of Obama, will you visit his fave Soul Food joint in Chicago and report back? Thank you!

angela@spinachtiger said...

This has to be last meal good. I dream of being skinny enough to eat this without guilt. Or maybe I could run 50 miles.

Joanne said...

I made chicken and waffles once before going veg...and yeah, it was pretty awesome. In a weird way.

Allison [Girl's Guide to Social Media] said...

Damn. I love Roscoe's Chicken n Waffles. Drooling right now!

marla said...

Looks like a fun way to finish up your time in LA :)

Diana said...

Awww Sunday Funday... makes me nostalgic for the first time I heard about it. You know, a week ago. ;)

susan said...

that's on mine and Eli's list. Thanks for reminding me!

Kristina Vanni said...

Roscoe's is such a city archive of flavor! Love it! Thanks for sharing your experience!