Thursday, April 19, 2012

The Purple Pig

After a long day of walking through Millennium Park, the Magnificent Mile, and some other touristy areas, the #ChiTownChowDown group and I decided to rest our weary feet and fuel up at The Purple Pig. I've quickly discovered that Chicagoans looove their meat and The Purple Pig does pork very well.

Menu

We started with what could be my favorite thing I've eaten so far in this city. Pork fried almonds with rosemary and garlic ($5). You first notice the piney rosemary and sweet garlic and there is a great saltiness from the pork, further highlighted by chewy pork bits in the bowl. Such an addictive snack.

Pork Fried Almonds with Rosemary & Garlic

To get a bit of green, we had brussels sprouts ($6). These aren't the healthiest sprouts since they are fried to crispy perfection, but the lemon and thyme help them taste fresh.

Fried Brussel Sprouts with Thyme, Lemon & Chili Flakes

Our mini meal was a little pork heavy (duh, the place is called The Purple Pig) with the almonds and then the pig's tails braised in balsamic ($9). The sweet balsamic balanced the fattiness of the tails.

Pig’s Tails Braised in Balsamic

We continued our pork exploration with milk braised pork shoulder ($10). Since pork shoulder is a little leaner, it was the perfect balance with the milky sauce and incredibly tender.

Milk Braised Pork Shoulder

To change things up, we ordered the mussels with creme fraiche, pancetta and majoram ($11). They come in an adorable pig bowl with crusty bread. We got more bread to soak up the creamy broth and then they just kept bringing us plate after plate of bread. It was kind of hilarious.

Mussels with Pancetta, Crème Fraiche & Marjoram

I can't wait to visit The Purple Pig again to have a glass of rose on the patio and also so I can try the pigs ears with crispy kale and a fried egg. That dish has my name all over it.


The Purple Pig
500 N. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, IL 60611
(312) 464-1PIG (744)
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Heather Christo said...

yum and yum. I want that milk braised pork, as well as that adorable dish!

Vicki said...

The Purple Pig was one of my favorites the last time I was in Chicago. Those piggy tails were delicious!

Erica said...

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm to brussels

Maria said...

Love the brussels!

Gastronomer said...

A must-do on my next trip to Chicago. The pig is my most favorite animal to eat.

Joanne said...

Love that you're already part of the foodie scene in ChiTown!

Rebecca said...

Next time, try the octopus!! SO GREAT! Or gelato with a shot of espresso on top! Mmmm :)

emily (a nutritionist eats) said...

I just told someone to go there yesterday!! So good!

Lucy Lean said...

I want that cute red pig dish!

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Fun to watch you learn about a new area!

Let Me Eat Cake said...

esi these pics are INCREDIBLE! i want to fly out right now and eat all of this!

Kristina Vanni said...

I have always wanted to try this restaurant! I must go now! Thanks for sharing.

Michelle @ Taste As You Go said...

Yay!

I really need to post my review of our trip to The Purple Pig. You know, before spring turns into summer. :)