Monday, April 30, 2012

Turkey, Shiitake, and Asparagus Noodles

Turkey, Shiitake, and Asparagus Noodles

I normally keep things nice and light here on this site, but something has been on my mind lately. With about a gazillion food blogs existing in the blogosphere, I'm noticing that fewer and fewer bloggers are giving credit on where there recipes come from. I think everyone should read this article by David Lebovitz and then re-read it immediately. I do disagree on point three that changing just three things in a recipe makes it yours, but I am curious to know what other bloggers feel about this issue. Take this recipe for example: I used turkey instead of pork, added red pepper flakes, and added asparagus. I guess I could claim this as my own now, but I followed everything else almost exactly and I certainly didn't come up with the combination of ingredients that produced a healthy, filling, and tasty lunch for me last week. Personally, I will always state in a clear way with a link if this recipe is adapted from or inspired by another source. If I feel I have spent time in the kitchen, coming up with something new and testing it's results, I will say it is by me. Of course with millions of recipes out in the world, there are bound to be similarities and I will always write the directions for every recipe in my own voice, the way I made the food. I know this is an issue that comes up from time to time in the food blogging community, and as I said before, I am interested to hear what others think. Add your thoughts in the comments. 

Turkey, Shiitake, and Asparagus Noodles


Here are other articles dealing with recipe attribution:
Wild Yeast Blog
The KitchenMaid
La Phemme Phoodie
Will Write For Food


Turkey, Shiitake, and Asparagus Noodles
(Adapted from Appetite for China)

*Note: I made this in a large nonstick skillet so I greatly reduced the amount of oil called for in the original recipe. If you are cooking in stainless steel, you may need to increase the oil to up to one tablespoon

Makes 2-3 servings

8 ounces ground turkey, 93% lean
1 teaspoon canola oil
5 shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps finely chopped
2 large shallots, finely chopped
8 asparagus stalks, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces, tips whole
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 tablespoons sake
4 tablespoons soy sauce
4 ounces soba noodles
Salt
1 scallion, sliced for serving

Heat a large wok or skillet over nonstick heat. If you are not using a nonstick pan, add the oil to the pan and heat before adding the turkey. Cook the turkey for 6-8 minutes or until it is completely cooked through. Remove the turkey from the pan with a slotted spoon a set aside.

If you are using a nonstick skillet, add the oil to the pan. Add the mushrooms, shallots, asparagus, and red pepper flakes to the pan. Cook, stirring often until the vegetables have softened and browned slightly, about 5 minutes. Add the turkey back to the pan as well as the sake and soy sauce. Cook for about 3 minutes, tossing well to combine. If your pan is not nonstick, make sure to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan with your spatula.

While the turkey mixture is cooking, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt the water generously and cook the soba noodles according to package instructions. Drain the noodles well. Divide the noodles amongst bowls, and top with the turkey mixture. Top each bowl with some of the green onion.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

11 comments:

Fresh Local and Best said...

Given how nearly every recipe is inspired from somewhere, I think that it is a good habit to simply write about how the idea/dish came about whether it was pulled from a recipe or a creative kitchen. It's just good honest record keeping.

Unknown said...

i always err on the side of caution and state where I adapted things from, whether it be small or large. if i don't change anything (rare these days), I just link back to the recipe as I don't feel it's right to just copy and paste, even with a link back. trying to get them a click or two, hoping that someone will do the same? who knows ;)

marla said...

I tend to do all my own recipe development/ but certainly cite when I have adapted, been inspired what not.

Lucy Lean said...

I like using chefs recipes and then adapting them for a home cook - I always credit because apart from anything else I feel it adds value! I also cook a lot from cookbooks and will credit and provide a link. I am always shocked and saddened when someone asks me for a recipe and then writes it up as their own - it's so obvious what they have done. Thanks for the food for thought

Joanne said...

I feel very strongly about this also and I always cite. Always, always, always! Even if I've strayed very far from the recipe...it just feels right.

Deliciously Organic said...

I'm with you. It's just not right to republish someone's recipe without proper attribution. And if you're using a recipe from another blog, it's much more respectful to link to the recipe instead of publishing it on your own site.

I state "adapted" even if I change 5-10 ingredients. I never, ever want to take credit away from the person who took the time out to create and test a recipe. I think we should give credit where it's due. Thanks for writing about this!

vanillasugarblog said...

i really love shiitake, and almost bought them yesterday at whole foods, but damn they are so expensive.
i hate that.
the health benefits of them are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Looks great - I am always up for a new way to incorporate shiitake. Great write up - thanks for sharing!

Banana Wonder said...

You bestow good onto soba noodles!

Gastronomer said...

I hardly ever come up with anything original, so there's no shades of gray for this girl when it comes to recipe attribution ;-)

Aggie said...

This looks so good!! I hardly ever have shitakes, may try this with another mushroom.

I agree, I am all about spreading the love, especially when it comes to recipes. We all inspire and get ideas from each other, always best to just give credit.