Thursday, September 17, 2009

Cafe Crepe

Prosciutto Brie and Egg Crepe at Cafe Crepe in Santa Monica

This past weekend I set out on a failed mission to find the Santa Monica farmers market. I still haven't been cooking, but I like to snack on fruits and veggies during the day (or so I tell my trainer). Unfortunately, I didn't bring my BlackBerry with me so I ended up aimlessly wandering the streets of Santa Monica. In order not to make the whole trip a waste, I decided to treat myself to an early lunch. After parading up and down 3rd Street Promenade for a bit, I finally settled on getting a crepe at Cafe Crepe on the south end of the Promenade. Even though the place was busy, I was able to be seated fairly quickly because it was just me, but then I waited...and waited...and waited. Finally someone came out and asked if I knew what I wanted, but I had barely gotten through the breakfast and sandwiches portion of the menu. I don't know about you, but if I am going to eat at a place called Cafe Crepe, you can be damn sure I am going to have a crepe. I wasn't really in a sweet mood so I stuck to the savory side. Eventually my server came and I asked him which would be better between a smoked beef, Swiss, egg, and Dijon crepe or the prosciutto, egg, and Brie crepe. He enthusiastically said the prosciutto was better so that's what I ordered. The crepe was fine, but a little...meh. The fried egg was a little too well cooked for my preference and the crepe was very chewy and a little bland. Overall it wasn't a bad meal, just not a terribly exciting one. The side of fries I had (oh yeah, definitely didn't tell the trainer about that) were great. Well seasoned and perfectly crispy, I got to linger over them while reading a (rare) delightful script...also it took a while for my server to bring me the check. I definitely would love to go back and try the sweet crepes because they looked (and smelled) amazing.

Cafe Crepe
1460 3rd St Promenade
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Just a note, I may be posting to little to not at all over the next couple of weeks. The good news is that I got a new apartment, but I can't move in until the 1st and so I am still not cooking while I finish up the last few weeks in crazy house. I am so excited to get back in the kitchen and stop eating snacks as meals you have no idea. Thanks for sticking with me through it all!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

Dolce said...

Savory crepes are best with buckwheat flour to my taste... and when in doubt, I recommend sticking to "la complète" : ham, gruyère cheese and egg, or a close variation of this!

Evan said...

I'm sure it was better than any crepe you might find here in Mobile, AL. Yay for your new apartment!

Sippity Sup said...

Great review. My experience there was similar. Next time you might try Crepes Dusigne (Olympic near the 405) they use a buckwheat flour I like. I do believe you can find them at the Mar Vista Farmer's Market on Sundays as well. If you find yourself at the Bloggers Festival in November try Ti Couz in San Francisco. It was great meeting you at Beso, by the way. GREG

Erica said...

hmm bummer that the lunch wasn't fabulous. At least the fries were good (hooray). Glad the apartment stuff is working out.

vanillasugarblog said...

we have no such places around here that serve crepes--have to go to Boston for it. Does anyone remember "The magic pan" awesome crepes.
Good luck on the move...take your time, we will always wait *patiently* you mommakins.

Juliana said...

Oh! I love crepes...I'll definitely try this place...look forward to it :-)

Diana said...

Have you been to Jack & Jills Too (fka The Creperie by Jack & Jill) on 3rd? I love their savory crepes!

Esi said...

Hello everyone.

Dolce - I ordered something similar to that.

Ev - thanks!

Greg - it was great to meet you too! I will have to check out your suggestions! I will definitely be in San Fran, but with that schedule of food, I am not sure I am going to want to try much more!

Dawn - xoxo!

Diana - used to live so close to Jack & Jill's Too and I never went. Maybe once I move (again). I have been to regular Jack & Jill's though. It's good, but a little greasy...

Michelle @ Find Your Balance said...

I have never found a crepe anywhere near as good as the ones in Paris. It makes me sad! But I keep trying... :-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Good luck with the move. I wish I could make crêpes that looks that good.

Simones Kitchen said...

I am always a sweet crepe kind of person. I just don't think crepes should be savoury...:)
Good luck with the move!

Dolce said...

Esi- Damned... I guess the place is a future "no go" then, and I hope you get a better one next time...
But I believe that buckwheat is the key to this - regular crepe batter works better for sweet crepes to my taste. :)

Reeni said...

The crepe sounds delicious - nice combo of flavors. Sorry it wasn't as good as it sounded! I'm so glad you found an apartment!!!

Kerstin said...

Aww, I'm sorry you were disappointed. We have a crepe place by us that I love but my hubby isn't too fond of crepes, so I'm always dragging friends there :)

Congrats on your apartment!

Maria said...

I always forget about crepes! I need to make them again. I love savory and sweet ones. Nutella is the best though:)

Veggie Belly said...

reminds me of some of the amazing crepes we had in south of france!

Heather said...

wow. i love crepes. those look amazing!

Miss Meat and Potatoes said...

Mmm. Morandi in NY has the best sweet and savory crepes for brunch. I'll have to try this next time I'm in LA.

kellypea said...

Congrats on your new apt! That's always something to look forward to. I made some crepes recently but can't remember why. Yummy -- just like yours. Scary that I could eat one after the other. ; )

Lisa said...

OMG, it's so disappointing when something looks and sounds awesome on a menu, and then when it's placed in front of you, looks and smells awesome. Then,u[on first bite, as you put it 'feh'. I always feel like 'UGH wasted calories!'. Nice review and photo!

That said, I'm looking forward to your puff pastry! No doubt you'll rock it when you try it :)

Evan said...

Just thought I should inform you that you are missed...by meeeee!

Kana said...

I have been thinking of making crepes ALL WEEK!!!!

The Duo Dishes said...

Yes to the sweet crepes. They are do them well.

game card said...

That’s great news! I’ll look forward on your upcoming blog post. I’m sure it will be a big hit with your readers.

Furniture removal said...

Sounds pretty good to me, I’ll be back reading you post for this week. Thanks.

V said...

Enjoyed reading the article above , really explains everything in detail,the article is very interesting and effective.

Management Assignment Help