Monday, January 11, 2010

Turkey Black Bean Chili

Turkey Black Bean Chili

Despite the rest of the country suffering from a deep freeze, the year has gotten off to an insanely warm start here in So Cal. I have had to turn on my air conditioner almost daily to cool my apartment down when I get home and yesterday at the farmers market everyone was wearing shorts and t-shirts (as evidenced by this adorable pic of Raul). In spite of these facts, I have been craving chili lately. I am trying to clear some room in my freezer so this was a great way to use up the turkey I had leftover from the Italian Wedding Soup. There were many, many recipes to sift through for chili, but not a lot for black bean chili so I had to come up with something I liked on my own. For my first try, I think this came out pretty well. I love spice and this came out smoky and tangy and full of wonderful flavors. Lucky for me, I have plenty of leftovers for my work lunches this week because I know the flavors will come together even more and be even better.


Turkey Black Bean Chili
(By Esi)



Makes 2.5 servings

8 ounces ground turkey meat (93% lean)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 small onion, diced
6 cloves garlic, minced
7 ounces fire roasted tomatoes in their juices
1 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoons Aleppo pepper
2 chipotles in adobo, chopped
1-15 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup chicken stock
Salt and pepper to taste
Tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, green onions, etc for garnish.

In a large saute pan or Dutch oven heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add the turkey. Use the back of the spoon to break up the turkey meat. Season lightly with salt and pepper and cook until the turkey is cooked through. Remove the turkey from the pan with a slotted spoon.

Add the onions to the pan and cook until they have softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, cumin, Aleppo pepper, and chipotle. Stir to combine adjust seasoning as necessary. Add the turkey, black beans, and chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and let the mixture simmer for about 30 minutes. Serve warm with whatever garnishes you like.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

17 comments:

Leslie said...

Sooooo warm and comforting!

Kelly said...

I'm so jealous of your warm weather and your fanastic bowl of chili. The thought of having fresh produce year round makes me swoon.

The Food Librarian said...

Yum! Yum! Yum!

Erica said...

Its finally supposed to start getting warmer again in Charleston on Friday- I cannot wait! The chili looks fab, I just love black beans. I'm actually making some vegetarian black bean chili with butternut squash next week- can't wait!

Diana said...

There's a turkey chili recipe (with black beans) on the Kitchn I think... I remember wanting to make it last year! Maybe I'll look it up again... once the weather cools off!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This really does look good! May I ask what type of camera you are using?

vanillasugarblog said...

yeah yeah it's warm over there we got it already.
so unfair. do you know it's 21 degrees? that was our high, tonight maybe 15? you know chili is best eaten in this type of weather.

Jenn said...

Chili. That's another thing I have to make this year, too. Must add to the list of "things to make for 2010"

Maria said...

Perfect hearty meal for a cold day.

Kerstin said...

What a fantastic chili - I'm a huge fan of black beans and I love all the garnishes you used!

Esi said...

Thanks for dropping by everyone. For those of you in cooler climes, this dish will warm you right up! Sending warm weather vibes your way :)

Mary, I use a mix of point and shoot and a Canon Rebel XS that I am still learning to use (which is why I sometimes fall back on the point and shoot)

Ken said...

We all need this kind of comfort! GREG

Kana said...

This is exactly what I would like for dinner tonight!!

Anonymous said...

How neat, I've never seen a flowering cabbage.

I think your left overs are going to taste delicious! This is a recipe to definitely try. But it is so hard to cook chili and soup when its 80 degrees out. LOL.

We're suppose to get rain at midnight. Perhaps this is a good time to get this recipe in. ;)

angela@spinachtiger said...

Nice chili but I"m jealous of weather. I am still wearing scarf and hat. I have white bean chili on stove right now.

Olga said...

love the addition of fire roasted tomatoes: they are so worth the money!

Alicia Foodycat said...

I think I have to get some chipotle in adobo - I keep seeing it in recipes and thinking how delicious it sounds.