Thursday, October 6, 2011

Roasted Broccoli, Grape, and Asparagus Quinoa Salad

Roasted Broccoli, Grape, and Asparagus Quinoa Salad


I'm not exactly sure how this recipe came to be. I had roasted grapes on the brain since I had never tried them before and I've been picking up tons of broccoli the last few weeks at the farmers market. I threw in some asparagus from another recipe I made and suddenly this salad was born. I've always really loved broccoli. I can have it raw, steamed, shredded, whatever, but my absolute favorite way of enjoying it is roasted so that it gets a nice char on the outside and a slightly nutty flavor. The grapes are sweet and bursting with juiciness and the asparagus' flavor is brought out which is great because this late season asparagus needs a bit of sprucing to brighten it up. Originally, I was going to do a lemon vinaigrette, but I like the sweet and tangy flavors of a balsamic vinaigrette. They highlight the flavors of the vegetables, but don't mask them. This is an excellent side dish for some roasted chicken or it's great as one big helping for lunch!




One year ago: "End of the Week" Deli Sandwich
Two years ago: Vols Au Vent
Three years ago: Warm Quinoa Salad with Roasted Butternut Squash


Roasted Broccoli, Grape, and Asparagus Quinoa Salad
(By Esi)

Makes 2 servings

8 ounces broccoli, washed, dried and cut into florets
8 ounces large seedless grapes, washed and dried
8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1 or 2-inch pieces
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup cooked quinoa
2 handfuls baby arugula
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons roughly chopped roasted and salted pistachios

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil.

Toss the broccoli, grapes, and asparagus with enough olive oil to lightly coat them. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Roast for 20-30 minutes or until the grapes are blistered and the broccoli and asparagus are slightly charred.

In a large bowl, toss the the broccoli, grapes, and asparagus with the quinoa and arugula. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the balsamic, and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Toss the dressing with the salad and combine well. Adjust the seasonings necessary. Garnish with pistachios. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments:

Erica said...

Roasted grapes? I've never tried them! I am intrigued. And I'm with you- I absolutely love broccoli too

Nancy said...

Hi Esi!!

So glad to know another roasted broccoli fan!This salad sounds terrific - all the flavors that I love as well!!

Lidia said...

Very interesting recipe. never mixed before grae, asparagus and broccoli. Nice idea!

lynn said...

mmmm! i love the grapes….

Let Me Eat Cake said...

when i first read the title i thought what the what but actually this combo of roasted deliciousness sounds pretty darn good!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

if you love roasted grapes, try making skewers of pork and grapes and roasting that: so flipping good.

Joanne said...

Now that it's colder, the broccoli cravings are really setting in! I love the sound of this salad!

Banana Wonder said...

I am surprised no comment from the quinoa queen as of yet...I am super curious about those roasted grapes.

lisa is cooking said...

I do love roasted broccoli, but how is it that I've never tried roasted grapes? I need to do this!

Kerstin said...

I've never had roasted grapes, but they sound really good! Love all the ingredients in your salad :)

marla said...

I keep reading about roasted grapes but have yet to try them. Such a lovely salad Esi :)

Unknown said...

Mmm, roasted grapes!! What an original salad :)

Simones Kitchen said...

Ah yes, I love a good broccoli too. It's such a versatile vegetable really and adding these grapes and the asparagus sounds lovely!