Monday, November 7, 2011

Brunch at The Churchill

New restaurant, The Churchill, already seems to be one of the hottest spots in town. Barely open for two weeks, it seems everyone is clamoring to check this place out. I don't normally go for hype of a new place, but when I was invited to brunch this past weekend, I couldn't pass it up. After a busy weekend of Snuggie parties and laundry, I was ready to get my brunch on.


We got things off to a promising start with my favorite part of brunch, the mimosa. At The Churchill you can get bottomless mimosas for $18 with the purchase of a meal. It's an excellent deal. I'm fairly certain that next summer you will find me on the patio partaking in this lovely tradition.

Mimosa

Food-wise, we got off to a sweet start with Roasted Apple Doughnuts ($8). The apples get caramelized and pair wonderfully with the fried dough. The lemon creme fraiche sauce helps balance out the sweetness of the apples and doughnut.

Roasted Apple Doughnuts

We then moved on to some pizzas. The smoked salmon breakfast pizza ($12) is a good way to get your smoked salmon fix and eggs in one bite. I actually really liked the pizza dough which was light and crispy, just the way I prefer.

Smoked Salmon Breakfast Pizza

The second the pancetta breakfast pizza ($12) hit the table, I was hit with the scent of truffle. There are also salty bits of pancetta, egg, and arugula to keep things fresh.

Pancetta Breakfast Pizza

To round out the pizza course, we indulged in the artichoke pizza ($15) topped with marinated artichokes, burrata, olives, and pistachios. The play on textures and flavors was kind of addictive, but I restrained myself because I knew there was a lot more to come.

Artichoke Pizza

To wet our tongues in between courses, we were served an heirloom tomato bloody mary. This tasted like straight vodka with a hint of tomato. The celery salt on the rim, helped cut through the alcohol.

Heirloom Tomato Bloody Mary

Next, we were treated to a mini version of The Churchill's eggs benedict ($13). The poached egg is wrapped in prosciutto and comes with a tarragon bernaise sauce and breakfast potatoes.

The Benedict


And of course there were more cocktails. The Michelada ($6) is not normally something I drink, but I loved the combination of lager, bloody mary mix (housemade), and the chili salt rimmed glass.

Michelada

Dishes served in mini pans make me smile, so I loved the way the frittata ($11) came out in a small cast iron skillet. It was filled with goat cheese, roasted garlic, potatoes, tomatoes, and herbs.

Frittata

Parmesan polenta ($13) was for me the weakest dish of the day. I liked the polenta and egg, but the tomato sauce seemed watery and the sausage had a bit of a strange texture.


Parmesan Polenta

I had indulged in french toast the previous evening, but the brioche french toast ($10) blew my homemade version out of the water. I was addicted to the market berry jam, which like the bread, cured meats, pastas, and everything else at the restaurant, is house made.

Brioche French Toast

Despite being totally stuffed at this point, we had one more dish to go. The "secret" chili relleno is not on the menu yet, but apparently it will be soon and you should order it if it is. The black bean puree under the chili is worth it alone, but with an egg and cream sauce, you will be over the moon with this dish.

Chili Relleno

Chili Relleno

The Churchill is a great combination of fun and casual and with two bars and free valet parking (with validation), I have a feeling this is a spot I will be returning to often.




*All food and drinks were comped. Opinions are my own.


One year ago: Mani's on Maple Happy Hour
Two tears ago: Albondigas
Three years ago: Pumpkin Whoopie Pies




The Churchill
8384 W. 3rd Street
Los Angeles, CA 90048
(323) 650-8384
Website

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Maria said...

I love going out for brunch. The French Toast looks amazing!

Let Me Eat Cake said...

roasted apple donuts! say no more i'm there!

marla said...

I need this brunch in my life like now. Especially the smoked salmon pizza!

vanillasugarblog said...

totes i'm really beginning to get very jealous of you

Joanne said...

Um wow. Each course they brought out sounds better than the next!

Georgia Pellegrini said...

This brunch looks magical!

Zara Chaney said...

First time reading this blog, thanks for sharing