Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blueberry Cucumber Granita

Blueberry Cucumber Granita

There were some blissfully cool weeks in August where the temps were about 80 degrees and I was able to wear pants for the first time in months. Unfortunately, temperatures are creeping back up so I am looking for new ways to cool down. Long time readers know, I love combining cucumbers and fruit. There is just something so cooling about a fresh cucumber with a juicy fruit and I keep coming back to the combination. This time it's with blueberries which I love because the season lasts longer than other berries and the flavors are so versatile. This is the perfect end of summer refreshment, and I may make this again over the weekend while I escape Chicago to my first midwestern summer retreat in Michigan. I won't tell you how to live your life, but we may or may not be adding some vodka to our granitas to give it a little kick.

Blueberry Cucumber Granita

One year ago: LudoBites 7.0
Two years ago: Watermelon Cucumber Cocktail
Three years ago: End of Summer Cuban Feast
Four years ago: Bacon and Tomato Hash


Blueberry Cucumber Granita
(By Esi)

Makes 4 servings

1/2 cup sugar
3/4 cup water
Zest from 1 lime
1/4 cup mint leaves
1 pint blueberries, washed
1/2 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, and roughly chopped
Juice from 1 lime

Heat the sugar and water over medium low heat, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and add the mint and lime zest. Let the syrup steep for twenty minutes.

Meanwhile, blend the blueberries and cucumbers in a blender until smooth.

Discard the mint leaves from the syrup. Once the syrup  has cooled completely, mix it with the blended blueberries, cucumber, and lime juice.  Strain the mixture into an 8x8 pan. If would like a little more texture to the granita, add 1-2 tablespoons of the pulp to the strained mixture.

Place the dish in the freezer and freeze for 4 hours, scraping the mixture with a fork every hour until it is frozen.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

wow. Totes this is so pretty.
Nicely done!
I'll try some, sure.
Thanks for asking

aida mollenkamp said...

It seems there is a lot of granita on the brain this week. I made some with coffee-orange and amaretto but this version is super intriguing!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I think blueberry and cucumber are a natural companion. Well done.

Joanne said...

Temps are creeping up again here also and I could certainly use a bowl of this! So refreshing.

Unknown said...

i've thrown cucumber into smoothies, but i love the addition in this granita! very refreshing :)

kellypea said...

Gorgeous! And I'm with you on anything cucumber. I could eat them all day. Enjoy your break in Michigan -- stay cool!

Gastronomer said...

I'd like to request a post on summering in Michigan, please! It's bloody hot in LA too, if that makes you feel any better ;-)

Diana said...

So you are going to mock me for this, but I just had my first ever granita on Monday night and almost died of happiness! Okay, not quite, but it was so delicious! I actually thought of you because it was made with Rose. ;)