Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Blushing Pom Holiday Cheesecake

As I mentioned the other day, the nice people at POM Wonderful sent me a case of juice. I have some whole pomegranates around my house and I have some cool recipes planned, but I am going to try and spread them out so as not to overload you lovely people that read my blog with pom recipes. After doing some recipe searching on the POM Wonderful site, I settled on this cheesecake as one of the recipes I wanted to try. I have never made my own cheesecake before and lately, I have been seeing some really cool cheesecake recipes in the blogosphere so I have had a little craving for it. This is really easy to make. It takes a bit of time with the chilling so I am glad I saved it for a weekend project. I greatly reduced the original recipe to make 2 mini cakes. I could not get enough of this cake though. I felt a little like Rachel and Chandler in that episode of Friends when they steal the neighbor's cheesecake. Lucky for me, I didn't have to eat cheesecake off the floor. I had a couple of cracks in one of my cakes, but I was able to cover it up nicely with the glaze. The title says that this is a holiday cheesecake, but it is ideal for anytime you have a cheesecake craving.

By the way, are you watching Gossip Girl this season?? It's so good and I can't wait for next week's episode. Last night featured music from pop darling Robyn. My friend Tony got to meet her over the weekend and you can read all about it here.


Blushing POM Holiday Cheesecake
(Adapted from Pom Wonderful)

Makes 1 9-inch cake (Or 2 4.5-inch cakes in my case)

For the Crust:
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted

For the filling:
8 ounces cream cheese, softened
5 tablespoons sugar
1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
Pinch of salt

For the glaze:
6 tablespoons pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch

Garnish (optional)
Pomegranate arils
Mint leaves

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees

To make the crust:
Stir together crumbs, sugar and butter until moistened. Press evenly into bottom of two 4.5 inch spring form pans or one 9 inch baking dish.

To make the filling:
In a large mixer bowl beat cream cheese and sugar on medium speed of electric mixer until fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk, vanilla and salt just until blended. Pour over crust in pan; spread evenly.

Bake for 15 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 20 to 25 minutes more, until cake is firm at sides and soft-set (jiggles slightly) in the center. Do not over-bake.

Cool cake in pan on a wire rack for up to 2 hours, then cover and refrigerate for 2 to 4 hours before serving. (Refrigerate cake for up to 1 week.)

To make the topping:
In saucepan combine juice with sugar and cornstarch. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes. Cool slightly; spread glaze over cake.

Sprinkle arils on top; garnish with mint leaves if desired.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments:

vanillasugarblog said...

Ohhh aren't you lucky to get a whole case. Wow. Well, you'll be busy trying new recipes out for sure. I have never seen this type of cheesecake, but you know it really does go well together when you think about it. Tart with creamy cheese...mmm.
And thanks for your comments on my blog. I get my ideas from eating foods that are so bland and are always in need of something to make them better. Sounds so simple, but in theory it's so true.

Have fun experimenting with the POM.

Anonymous said...

nom nom nom

that looks fantastic!

Diana said...

That is spectacular! What a beautiful picture and presentation! I am thoroughly impressed -- with both your baking skills and your knowledge of Friends' episodes. I love when Joey finds Rachel and Chandler eating the cheesecake off the floor, and he picks up a fork, plops down next to them, and says, "So, what are we eating?" Classic! :)

P.S. GG is insane! Though I'm not sure about this Nate and Jenny business...

The Blonde Duck said...

That's an amazing cheesecake. Yum!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful cheese cake . . . my favorite dessert on the planet!

Thanks for the great idea, especially since it incorporates the wonderful POM.

Wandering Chopsticks said...

That cheesecake must be tiny or that leaf is awfully big! You've been posting so many great recipes lately, I can't keep up.

I just drank all my pomegranate juice. :)

Veronica said...

Wow that is a fabulous looking cheesecake! I love POM. I'm trying to kick the soda habit so I've been drinking POM diluted with club soda.

Rachelle S said...

Beautiful! I have this on my list to make too. I just made their POM syrup, really good.

Esi said...

Thank you lovely people!

Diana - I totally love that Joey carries around that fork, and I may start doing that too ;) I'm not sure how I feel about the Nate/Jenny thing too, but it can't last long. They are practically siblings!

Wandering - it's a little bit of both. I baked my cake in 4.5 inch pans, but it just so happens that I used a really large mint leaf too. haha

Mansi said...

hey, I got this POM juice package too..was wondering what to make of it! your cheesecake looks divine!

as for Friends, aah, that's my safe haven! I don't remember how many ties I've watched it!:)

Leonor de Sousa Bastos said...

It looks delicious!!

It's such an unique suggestion...

Fantastic!

Heather said...

ohhhh this looks DELICIOUS! I love pomegranates, and have been wondering about recipes. I'll have to pick some up and make this, ASAP.

Prudy said...

You lucky lucky woman. But then they say you make your own luck, and if that's true then I say you make your own luck into cheesecake. I'm hanging on to this beauty.

Natalie Que said...

Holidays already?? I just can't wrap my brain around it with this heat!! The cheesecake is BEAUTIFUL, as is everything you do!

Katie said...

Oh, how delicious! This combines two things that I love during the holidays.

Erica said...

I don't watch Gossip girls but I've heard so many great things about it! I may need to start! That cheesecake looks absolutely incredible! I have NEVER made cheesecake. Maybe I will bring this along to Josh's families Christmas party!

The Food Librarian said...

Oh my goodness! This looks so good. I love poms and want to make this!!!

Big Boys Oven said...

wow! you are so creative using pomegranate in baking a cheese cake, lovely and creative!

Debbie said...

I love cheesecake and almost always end up with a "lovely" crack. Never heard of having it with poms but what a great idea! Your looks wonderful.

Olga said...

I actually stopped by to leave a comment on your pizza, but see it's not officially posted yet :)

Loved the picture of you looking through the hole in the dough (you posted them on Daring Bakers board) :)

Unknown said...

hehe, i was totally smiling at thinking of them eating cheesecake off the floor! you must've known I have 2 pomegranates in my ktichen... now i might need some cheesecake!! sorry, no gossip girls...

Anonymous said...

That looks spectacular! Wonderful idea to make a pomegranate cheesecake :)

Alicia Foodycat said...

So beautiful! A good cheesecake is so hard to beat and that looks like a very, very good cheesecake!

Anonymous said...

I'm jealous of your POM products. I love pomegranates and your little cheesecakes are perfect! Nice job on your first cheesecake, too. I've never cooked with pomegranate before (salad doesn't count...) and I now think I want to experiment a bit. Thanks for the inspiration!

CECIL said...

This got to be the cutest cheesecake I have ever seen! I loveeee POM! Maybe I need to make this for Christmas brunch.