Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Leek Fritters

Leek Fritters

A couple of weeks ago I caught this episode of Good Food with Evan Kleiman where she made these leek fritters I knew I had to try immediately. I only wish I could go around getting all my produce at the farmers market and then have a convenient area to cook right away. Instead, I usually have to haul my stuff on the ten minute walk home, but it's so worth it. These fritters are easy to make and very tasty. As you can see in the video, no measurements are given, but it is pretty easy to eyeball. They don't really need anything than a spritz of lemon juice, but I imagine a nice yogurt dipping sauce would be fantastic with these.


Leek Fritters
(From Good Food with Evan Kleiman)

2 leeks, washed and chopped
1 egg lightly beaten
1 slice of bread soaked in water and then
Freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
Breadcrumbs as needed

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the leeks. Cook until the leeks have softened and sunk to the bottom. Drain well and pat dry.

In a medium bowl, mix together the leeks, egg, soaked bread, and Parmesan. Season with salt and pepper and add breadcrumbs as needed until the mixture comes together.

In a large skillet, heat an inch of olive oil over medium high heat. Form the leek mixture into balls and pat down. Fry the patties for 3-4 minutes per side until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels and serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

26 comments:

Pearl said...

yum! my mom does something similar to that but with zucchini.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These do look delicious.

vanillasugarblog said...

I love a nice crispy fritter. I never tried using leeks, but I love conch fritters. Have you ever made those? Ohh wait, leek & conch fritters. Yeah!
Anywho, these do look really tasty.

Erica said...

Sounds awesome! Love so many of Evan's recipes. I've never had a leak before (!) but always see them at the supermarket. Must pick two up and try this recipe.

The Cooking Photographer said...

My mouth. It's watering. Omgosh Esi this is fried veggie heaven. I must make this!

Diana said...

I've said it once, but I'll say it again... I love Evan Kleinman!

Totally want to try these the next time I'm at my parents place (so my dad will do the produce lugging and will wash the leeks for me).

Anonymous said...

wonderful! i need something crispy and warm to brighten up the damp, misty and cool day!

cheers,

*heather*

Anonymous said...

Think they'd still be tasty baked?

lisaiscooking said...

Leeks sound great for fritters and yours look delicious!

Esi said...

Pearl, fritters can be made with all kinds of vegetables, they are great.

Mary, thanks!

Dawn, I haven't made conch fritters, but I enjoyed PLENTY of them when I was in the Bahamas last year. Conch and leek could be so good together!

Erica, hop on the leek bandwagon! I think you will like them.

Laura, If you try them, I hope you like them!

Diana, agreed re: Evan Kleiman :)

Duo Dishes, These would probably be good baked or broiled.

Kerstin said...

I love leeks and these look very yummy!

Marta said...

Oh yes, yogurt must be fantastic with these. I love leeks so much, it had never ocurred to me to make fritters out of them.
Thanks for sharing :)

daxphillips said...

It's hard to beat a good leek dish, especially one that is lightly fried. :) Looks yummy. Did you serve them as it, or with some dipping sauce?

Esi said...

Dax, I just had them as is with a little spritz of lemon.

Kana said...

Leek fritters...anything fried sounds good to me Esi!

Reeni said...

So simple but so delicious! They have such a lovely golden color, perfect!

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

I've never made any fritters. I think I would enjoy these with eggs and bacon.

Sara said...

Yes to fritter of any kind!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I immediately was drawn to these. Would go good with a steak I think. I love leeks.

Esi said...

Helene and Angela, I like your serving suggestions!

eatingclubvancouver_js said...

I love the idea of leek fritters!

redmenace said...

You had me at the word "fritter." I love it!

Laura said...

We serve leek fritters called Keftes de Prasa for our Sephardic Passover. The Sephardic Jews who came over to this country embraced the new world's culinary shortcuts and now we make it with chopped boiled leeks, matzo meal mix, and an egg pan fried like a latke. Pretty amazing stuff, even with the shortcut.

Mindy said...

I love leeks! These look delicious!

Mon said...

:)
I just tried them with spinach!
YUMMMIIIIII!!!!!!!!!!!!
:P

Unknown said...

I would suggest you another option, if you are not a vegetarian - Instead of cheese, you can add a small amount (a handful) of mince meat. My grandmother used to do them this way and they were delicious