Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Self Frosting Nutella Cupcakes

Self Frosting Nutella Cupcakes

For our beach potluck last weekend, I was stumped as to what I could make. I knew it had to be something that was both kid and adult friendly. I didn't want to spend a whole bunch of money trying a new recipe so I wanted to keep it limited to things I had on hand. I knew that there would be healthy stuff so I could get away with something sweet. Back before I even started food blogging, I saved many recipes and as I was going through my old recipe binder, I came across these cupcakes not once, but three times. Apparently I really wanted to make these back in the day. I already had the Nutella thanks to my recent investment at the grocery store and the rest of the ingredients were things I always keep on hand in case the mood to bake strikes which in my case happens to be often. This could not have been a more simple recipe.I think the most difficult thing was swirling the Nutella and even that was kind of fun. Make these immediately. The buttery cake is tender and the Nutella is the star as the frosting/topping. It's uncomplicated and completely delicious. I'm super shocked I restrained myself at just one.



Self Frosting Nutella Cupcakes
(Adapted from Baking Bites)



Makes 10-12 cupcakes

8 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup white sugar
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Nutella (approximately 1/3 cup, about 1 teaspoon for each cupcake)

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line 12 muffin tins with paper liners or alternately spray and flour each muffin tin and set aside.

In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder and set aside.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about two minutes. Add the eggs one at a time making sure that each egg is incorporated before adding the next. Stir in the vanilla.

With the mixer on low speed, stir in the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Fill each muffin tin with batter about 3/4 full. Top the batter in each tin with 1 teaspoon of Nutella. Swirl the Nutella into the batter with a toothpick taking care to spoon some of the batter over the Nutella.

Bake the cupcakes for 15-20 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center cupcake comes out clean. Transfer the cakes to a wire pan to cool completely.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

21 comments:

lisaiscooking said...

What's not to like? A buttery cupcake that frost itself and nutella. These sound great!

vanillasugarblog said...

i love this nutella kick you are. i was going to make a nutella cheeecake but it's 85 degrees today and yesterday...way hot.

La Bella Cooks said...

Are you willing to send a dozen my way? These look perfect with that gooey nutella top. Great recipe.

The Duo Dishes said...

Just one? Not sure how you managed that.

Erica said...

They look just perfect! I love that you don't really have to go through the annoyance of frosting them up too! I bet everyone was excited to see these coming

Unknown said...

beach potluck? why wasn't i invited? ;) these look amazing, and I don't think i would've stopped at just one!

HeddyShea said...

I love nutella! Thanks for the recipe.
xo
shs

azelia said...

What a great idea...worth saving...perfect for those like me with a jar of the stuff in the cupboard...!

Joanne said...

Nutella has to be one of my most favorite things on this planet! I love the swirls. And the idea of biting into cupcake hazelnut chocolate goodness.

Maria said...

Loving your Nutella recipes!

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

Perfect little Nutella cupcakes! Love how you named them.

Diana said...

Just one? I'm shocked too! If I'd been making those babies, I would have probably "accidentally" botched 3 or 4 for the explicit purpose of eating them myself.

Sook said...

I'm almost addicted to nutella... I love the taste! I can't wait to make these..

Monika said...

I cannot have Nutella in my house. I buy it, imagining I'm going to do all sorts of things with it, but it ends up lazing in a cupboard and I just eat great big spoonfuls of it.
Finally, something to direct my Nutella purchasing towards! These look amazing!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

not sure I'd be able to restrain myself at just 1 of these cupcakes. I have the same love for Nutella as you do :)

The Urban Baker said...

they were yummy. and the company wasn't so bad either!

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

Yum! I love Nutella but never thought about making cupcakes with them. Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Lisa said...

This is genius, pure genius. I am going out to buy a jar of nutella just so I can make these. They look amazing! Thank you so much for posting this, Esi!

Chef Chuck said...

Very nice ~Nutella~

Lanie said...

These were amazing. I made them today as a "thank you" present for some friends. (I had super-sized cupcake pans, though, so each cupcake was about twice the normal size).
I love the taste that they have as they're cooling and the taste only improves once they're fully cooled and the Nutella has hardened a little bit on the top of the cupcakes.

Anonymous said...

These were good, but not great. The cupcake was moist and buttery, but a bit bland. The tops, however, were simply delicious. The next time I make them I'm going to marble the nutella through the entire cupcake, instead of just on top. And I mean, who can say no to EXTRA nutella? :)