Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sauteed Spicy Green Beans and Tomatoes

Sauteed Spicy Green Beans and Tomatoes

Lest you think my life is all desserts lately, I've actually been eating pretty well. I've been battling a cold the last few days and strangely, I've been craving vegetables a lot. I'm always looking for new ways to enjoy the bounty of each season so when this recipe arrived in my inbox courtesy of Serious Eats. I quickly ran out and picked the best green beans I could find. I detest soggy vegetables so this is right up my alley. The green beans stay crisp and firm after a very quick blanch and ice bath and pair well with juicy tomatoes and crunchy almonds. The spices give this a warm gentle heat and make what could easily be a ho hum dish, something extraordinary. Plus, it's really beautiful to look at and as they say, we eat with our eyes first, right?


Sauteed Spicy Green Beans and Tomatoes
(Adapted from Edible: A Celebration of Local Foods)




Makes 2 servings

8 ounces green beans, stem end trimmed and cut into 2-3 inch pieces
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, very finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
Dash ground cinnamon
Dash ground cayenne
15 cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
2 tablespoons sliced almonds or pine nuts, toasted

Fill a large bowl with water and ice and set aside. In a large saucepan of boiling salted water, add the green beans. Bring back to a boil and cook for 1 minute. Drain the beans, then plunge into the ice water. Remove the beans after 1 minute; drain and set aside.

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, salt, pepper, coriander, and the cinnamon and cayenne and cook for 1 minute. Add the green beans and stir to coat well with the onion and seasonings. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 2 minutes.

Place the vegetables onto a serving dish. Sprinkle with the toasted almonds. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

I hope you feel better! I also crave veggies when I'm not feeling up to par. I bet this mix of veggies, spice & nuts is perfection.

Jenny said...

Gorgeous green beans girl!! Yes, hope your cough goes away, we've had it the last week too, yuck!

Deeba PAB said...

I'd love this side with my meal... it's gorgeous and well balanced! NICE!!

Kelly said...

I never thought it was all desserts, and even if it was, I so wouldn't judge. I would be jealous. :-)

shaz said...

Hope you've beaten that cold Esi. I do find that I automatically crave healthy food when I'm sick, and can't even look at chocolate.

I love green beans and almonds together, the tomatoes add such a great colour contrast. Great photo :)

Sippity Sup said...

So colorful and beautiful and I am very intrigued by the addition of cinnamon! GREG

Joanne said...

They do say that the body often craves things when it's lacking a certain nutrient...yours probably wants to eat up as many vitamins and minerals as possible! I love the sound of cinnamon in here.

Diana said...

I don't think I'd like to eat with my eyes. There are no taste buds there! ;)

MaryMoh said...

Looks refreshing, healthy and delicious. I like it. I hope you are feeling better. Please take care.

Jenn said...

Classic, yet so simple and delicious. Make sure you get some rest and i hope you're feeling better.

vanillasugarblog said...

that is so colorful, glad you are eating good. i need to make more healthy dishes like you--i say that every year don't i? blah blah blah i know.
feel better honey...

Unknown said...

certainly is gorgeous, and i love simple and delicious! hope you're feeling better asap :)

Simones Kitchen said...

Beautiful looking dish for sure!! And you're so right; I always love it when a dish looks this good!

Chef Fresco said...

We make green beans all the time, but always use the same recipe. Gonna have to try this one with all the spices!

Esi said...

Hey everyone! Thanks as always for your kind words. I'm finally starting to feel better :)

M. said...

this is beautiful and healthy looking salad, I make something very similar....but with sherry vinegar and shallots....