Friday, April 30, 2010

World Peace Cookies

World Peace Cookies

I'm not sure why these cookies are called "world peace cookies". Dorie Greenspan has some funny names for her baked goods. It could be because these cookies are so good, they make you want to break out in song and hug everyone around you or some such cheesiness, but I'm not really sure. I've been seeing these on various blogs for a long time and I finally got a chance to make them myself. I wish I hadn't waited so long to make these. They are really very tasty. They are rich and chocolaty and the healthy pinch of salt adds a nice crunch and helps bring out the chocolate flavor even more. If you're any kind of moderate baker, you probably have these ingredients in your cupboard. I urge you to make these cookies immediately if you haven't already done so!


World Peace Cookies
(From Baking: From My Home to Yours)



Makes about 36 Cookies

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
11 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2/3 cup (packed) light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon fleur de sel or 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into chips, or a generous 3/4 cup store-bought mini chocolate chips

Sift the flour, cocoa and baking soda together.

Working with a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until soft and creamy. Add both sugars, the salt and vanilla extract and beat for 2 minutes more.

Turn off the mixer. Pour in the dry ingredients and pulse the mixer at low speed about 5 times, a second or two each time. If there is still a lot of flour on the surface of the dough, pulse a couple of times morel. Continuing at low speed, mix for about 30 seconds more, just until the flour disappears into the dough — for the best texture, work the dough as little as possible once the flour is added, and don't be concerned if the dough looks a little crumbly. Toss in the chocolate pieces and mix only to incorporate.

Turn the dough out onto a work surface, gather it together and divide it in half. Working with one half at a time, shape the dough into logs that are 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Wrap the logs in plastic wrap and refrigerate them for at least 3 hours. (The dough can be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 2 months. If you've frozen the dough, you don't need to defrost it before baking — just slice the logs into cookies and bake the cookies 1 minute longer.)

Getting Ready to Bake:

Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats or aluminum foil

Using a sharp thin knife, slice the logs into rounds that are 1/2 inch thick. (The rounds are likely to crack as you're cutting them — just squeeze the bits back onto each cookie.) Arrange the rounds on the baking sheets, leaving about 1 inch between them.

Bake the cookies one sheet at a time for 12 minutes. Transfer the baking sheet to a cooling rack and let the cookies rest until they are only just warm, at which point you can serve them or let them reach room temperature.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

25 comments:

Erica said...

mmm chocolate chocolate cookies! They look like they baked up perfectly. And you're right...I have all of these ingredients on hand!

I hope you have a great weekend Esi

vanillasugarblog said...

these are good, they satisfy that chocolate craving pretty darn well. i can't remember the last time i made these.
what big plans do you have for the weekend? i need to bake--i've been slacking badly.

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

We have had such a woeful lack of cookies in our house this week!! You're right, I definitely have all the ingredients to make these...and so I shall. Thanks for the prompting, they look terrific.

Kelly said...

I've heard of these before but had NO idea what they were so I imagined something much more crunchy and granola-y (read: something healthy and not what I would be in the mood for when I am craving dessert). These look absolutely fabulous though. I have to bake for a bake sale on Sunday so I'll have to check and see if I have the ingredients on hand to make these.

innBrooklyn said...

I bought this cookbook when the james beard foundation essential baking list had it as #1... going to make these cookies soon!

MaryMoh said...

Beautiful cookies. Would be so good with a cup of milk...mmmm

Joanne said...

I have always wondered about the name of these cookies. I always assumed that the idea was that if we all sat around at snacktime eating these, world peace would necessarily ensue. They look delicious!

The Duo Dishes said...

Chocolate brings out the chill in anybody. Why fight when you can eat chocolate? That's a decent explanation for the name. :) Hope you made a huge batch of these to share!

Diana said...

You definitely don't need to twist my arm on this one...

Jenn said...

I don't care much for names, but hey if it has chocolate and they're cookies...I'm all for it. Interesting name for it though.

Memória said...

I've seen these cookies but never thought about making them because they don't have eggs and are not drop cookies. Now that you and Joe Pastry have blogged about these on the same day, I guess it is a sign I should bookmark this recipe. Thanks, Esi!

Maria said...

These are one of my favorites!

Hungry Dog said...

Wow, these look amazing. I could see how they could inspire world peace (or a great battle over the last one!)

shaz said...

If everybody ate (and shared) these cookies, the world would be a better place indeed. What a great way to start the weekend Esi - with chocolate.

Alicia Foodycat said...

You know, an icecream sandwich of these and the brown sugar icecream really could be quite a thing!

Gaby said...

oh la la!! Those sound delish!! Hope these make you feel better!! Girls pot luck lunch asap!

Simones Kitchen said...

Whatever you call these; they look delicious!!

Amy of Sing For Your Supper said...

These are my favorite cookies ever!! So good, they could bring about world peace! Dorie's best recipe, in my opinion!

-Amy
www.singforyoursupperblog.com

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

I love a touch of salt with my sweet. Great name for a fab cookie! xo

Unknown said...

those look absolutely gorgeous! i'd give you a hug if you sent me some ;)

M. said...

they look delicious....I love the addition of fleur de sel...and it so happens it's the only ingredient I don't have in my pantry...so I'm bookmarking this recipe for later. :)

the pastry kook said...

i think Dorie exaggerated its saltiness in her cookbook. oh well. ):

Karen said...

I've seen these cookies on so many blogs, but have never made them (I want to!) They look delicious.

Anonymous said...

these cookies look so delicious, and thanks for blogging for two years now.

Mary said...

Although the dough was very difficult to work with, it was worth it. These cookies were awesome! Thanks for the great recipe!