Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Halibut over Herbed Lentils with Spinach and Tomatoes

Halibut over Herbed Lentils with Spinach and Tomatoes

Lately watching Food Network has been almost painful. I don't know how or when or why it got so bad, but I hate almost every new show and while it used to be a priority to watch new episodes of shows I loved on the weekend, I now race out of the house to not have to go through the misery. I don't care what Brian Boitano makes! Once in a blue moon, I catch a repeat of something interesting and I immediately add whatever recipe I've just seen to my Springpad so as not to forget it. The most recent recipe I added was these herbed lentils. I really love lentils. They take a while to cook, but most of that is inactive time that you can spend doing something else. In this case, while the lentils are cooking, you can prep all of the other ingredients so that everything is ready at the same time. A while ago I picked up some Pacific halibut at the Silverlake farmers market. I try to always keep pieces of fish in my freezer at all times so if the mood strikes, I can quickly thaw them and have a beautiful dinner ready in no time. The lentils make this dish hearty so you aren't craving more food when you have finished eating and the herbs and lemon juice keep the whole dish feeling fresh. All I did to the halibut was season it lightly with salt and pepper and cooked it in a pan. This is a wonderful meal that is easy to prepare on any night of the week.



Herbed Lentils with Spinach and Tomatoes
(Adapted from Ellie Krieger)



Makes 2 generous servings

1/2 cup green lentils
1-2 cups water
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon diced shallots
2 cups baby spinach leaves
1/2 cup halved grape tomatoes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Place the lentils in a pot with the water and a large pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes, until the lentils are tender but still retain their shape. Drain any excess water from the lentils and set them aside.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Add the shallots and cook until they are softened, about 3 minutes. Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, about 2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, lentils, basil, parsley, and mint to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until warmed through, about 1 minute. Stir in the lemon juice, salt and pepper and serve.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

23 comments:

Unknown said...

that looks really good.....I love all sorts of fish and seafood!!

Erica said...

yummy lentils. I love Ellie. Food Network isn't THAT bad, but there are a bundle of hosts I cannot stnad to watch including Sandra Lee and Guy. I also don't understand why Challenge and Iron Chef are on ALL the time. I wish it was more regular cooking shows

vanillasugarblog said...

i don't care for the new shows either, they don't have the personality like the old hosts do. i still miss gale gand...
and this dish is very healthy. good for you, i need to be more like you.

Jen said...

oh, that looks fantastic.

I have to agree with you about the Food Network. I haven't watched a show in...well...i don't remember how long its been.

Maria said...

I love the herbed lentils, great dish here!

Alison Kilpatrick said...

This is exactly the sort of dish I’ve been craving lately! I think I’ll try it out this week – thanks!

La Bella Cooks said...

I am with you on the whole Food Network thing. If I have to see Guy or another challenge I may explode. My kids think Brian Boitano is some super comedian and he is totally tolerable so I let that one through.
This looks super healthy with the halibut and lentils. Not to mention the gorgeous tomatoes in there. Gotta love Ellie. Great dish, Esi!

Pam said...

I so agree about the Food Network! I used to be addicted to it and very seldom turn it on now. The food challenges are insane. Who cares? Just cook some great dishes like the old hosts did! Your dish sounds delicious,full of good flavors.

Diana said...

I know this might sound shocking given my love of Top Chef, but I've actually never been into the Food Network. I don't know what it is that turns me off about it, but I can never seem to pay attention!

This dish sounds seriously delish though. I've been looooving the lentils lately.

Jenn said...

The halibut looks tender. Mmmm...maybe I'll cook up some fish tonight.

There are certain shows on and reruns I'd watch, but definitely not all. Probably the only one I'd watch constantly is Good Eats.

Unknown said...

totally agree on the foodnetwork! i don't spend nearly as much time as i used to there :/ i need to make more lentils, though, and get into your habit of having fish in the freezer!

Janet said...

Funny - I went and heard Ruth Reichl speak this morning and someone asked her about the Food Network. Her response? "It disturbs me how STUPID it is." :)

This looks yummy, healthy and hearty. I should eat more fish.

The Duo Dishes said...

This is totally healthy. Impressive! Ellie K. has a few good recipes under her belt.

Memória said...

I love how healthy, yummy, and colorful this dish is!

Esi said...

I'm so glad most of you agree with me re: Food Net. I had hoped the new Cooking Channel would redeem them, but the programming looks to be more of the same crap.

And yes....make these lentils!!! The buttery halibut is perfect with them, but I believe the recipe as written paired them with salmon which would also be great.

The Food Librarian said...

I don't even surf the Food Network anymore. But damn, this looks delicious!!! - mary

Simones Kitchen said...

We don't actually have food network on tv here and I have always been slightly envious of people that do, but now that I hear you I guess I am not really missing that much!
Your dish on the other looks gorgeous and I have some puy lentils leftover that would work perfectly with this!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

I need to come over to your house for dinner! this look so healthy and delicious, might be just what I need since I am quickly regaining my muffin top :(

lisaiscooking said...

Two things I love are halibut and lentils. So, this looks great! And, I with you, I can't take FN anymore.

From the Kitchen said...

I, too, love lentils and have a number of good recipes. As for the Food Network, I like the shows that take me into the kitchen--as if I'm one of the guests--such as Ina Garten. I have come to like Gaida but it took awhile as her grimacing smile irritated me. Sandra Lee has never taught me anything and I don't like Challenges or Iron Chefs. I do, however, realize that the network needs to appeal to a wide range of "foodies" and many of them would probably not agree with my choices.

Best,
Bonnie

angela@spinachtiger said...

I love this dish, and I hate the food network. It's all gimmicks, with a very bad message that food has to made with unusual ingredients and done to the clock. Ridiculous and somewhat perverted view of food.

Alicia Foodycat said...

Fish and lentils go so well together, and the herbs you've used in the lentils must have really made it sing!

Anonymous said...

I have made this dish over and over again - I enjoy it so much that I have shared it on my own blog today. Thank you so much for the inspiration!