Friday, April 2, 2010

Chickpeas with Sausage and Sun Dried Tomatoes

Chickpeas with Sausage and Sun Dried Tomatoes

I've been growing tired of my boring turkey sandwiches for work so lately, I have been looking for new things to throw into the mix. When I think about what I want to eat during the week and what I have time to prepare, the main factors are quickness, healthiness, portability, and cost. This recipe is great because it used things I mostly keep around my tiny kitchen and takes about two seconds to throw together. It is packed with protein and if you want to bump up the iron, I am sure some spinach would go great in here. It's really, very flavorful and the sausage I used was a Louisiana hot link variety from Whole Foods so there was a gentle spice to the whole dish. As I said, I am always looking for easy weekday meals so if you have ideas for me, leave them in the comments and have yourself a great Easter weekend!!



Chickpeas with Sausage and Sun Dried Tomatoes
(Lightly adapted from The Perfect Pantry)



Makes 2-3 servings

4 ounces spicy sausage (I used Louisiana hot links), diced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 small onion, chopped
1 large clove of garlic, roughly chopped
1-15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
3-4 sundried tomatoes, thinly sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar, or to taste
Kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
Parsley for garnish (optional)

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat, then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened but not browned. Stir in the sausage and cook until cooked through, 5-7 minutes.

Pour the mixture into a bowl and add the chickpeas and tomatoes. Season with vinegar, salt and pepper. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve warm.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Pam said...

Love those chickpeas and always looking for new ways to use them. This looks delicious and I must try it! Thanks!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This is a fantastic dish! I think I will make some for my own work lunches.

June said...

Wow - this looks so fabulous I've just gotta try it!

Erica said...

Nice! So colorful. I love chickpeas- filling & tasty. Sun dried tomatoes always make a dish feel a little extra special to me.

Easy ideas:
http://itzyskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/03/product-reviews-and-giveaway-spinach.html

http://itzyskitchen.blogspot.com/2008/08/fast-sloppy-lentils.html

Diana said...

I know the feeling - so sick of sandwiches!!! I need a pinch hitter badly! Maybe... quinoa... ;)

vanillasugarblog said...

fabulous combo! i would eat this hot or cold!!!

Sippity Sup said...

chickpeas and sausage are a great earthy combo! GREG

Jenn said...

Chickpeas is a nice change from sandwiches. I would definitely have this for my lunch!!!

Simones Kitchen said...

I always love easy "throw together " lunches and I love chickpeas too! Happy Easter to you too!

angela@spinachtiger said...

I keep forgetting about sun dried tomatoes and how they can brighten up a dish.

Monika said...

I've been bookmarking all your recipes of late for my 'things to make'list - this looks delightful!

Kerstin said...

Mmm, what an easy and tasty dinner! I've really been enjoying the chickpea and sausage combo lately.

Deana Sidney said...

Delicious combo and wonderful photo... so good looking!

B & D said...

i love ur recipe..all the ingredients that i enjoy eating...

Chef Fresco said...

We are totally getting bored of our daily lunch sandwiches as well! I would totally trade mine for this chickpea salad any day!

Anonymous said...

Yes. Looks like I'll be making this one too. Thank you!