Friday, April 23, 2010

Ricotta Pancakes with Meyer Lemon Curd

Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd

I'm not really big on pancakes for breakfast, but once in a while I get a random craving for them. I haven't made pancakes in an extremely long time because I haven't owned a nonstick pan or a griddle for nearly a year...but now I am in possession of a cute little nonstick pan that I will tell you about later and I want to make all kinds of pancakes! I had some ricotta leftover from another recipe and everything else needed to make a small stack. I was also happy to use some of my Meyer lemon curd that I have been really stingy about using this year. The pancakes came out great! Really light and fluffy in texture with the mild ricotta taste that paired well with the sweet and tart lemon curd. The only thing that could have made these pancakes better were some spring berries, but I made them on Saturday before I went to the farmers market on Sunday. Oh well, guess I will just have to make them again!





Ricotta Pancakes with Lemon Curd
(Adapted from The Kitchn)



Makes about 6 small pancakes

1/2 cup ricotta cheese
6 tablespoons milk
2 eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
6 tablespoons flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
2 1/4 teaspoons sugar
Pinch salt
Meyer lemon curd
Powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

Drain the ricotta in a strainer lined with cheesecloth or paper towels, for about 30 minutes. Squeeze off any excess liquid.

In a large bowl, mix the drained ricotta, milk, egg yolks, and vanilla and whisk until combined. In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the ricotta mixture and stir gently to combine.

In a medium bowl with a handheld mixer, beat the egg white to stiff peaks. Whisk in a small amount of the egg whites to lighten the batter, then fold in the remaining egg whites.

Heat a nonstick pan over medium heat. Use a 1/3 cup measure to pour batter into the pan. Cook the pancakes for about 3 minutes per side until golden brown.

Serve the pancakes with lemon curd spread between and topped with powdered sugar.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

Josh and I are huge pancakes for dinner fans! I have always wanted to try adding ricotta to mine. Looks so so good. Haven't owned a nonstick pan for a year??? You crack me up :)

Diana said...

You must be reading my mind- I've been thinking about recreating BLD's blueberry ricotta pancakes all week!

And ahem, you haven't had a nonstick pan in a year??!?!

Memória said...

I'm not a fan of ricotta for its texture and taste, but I love how fluffy they made your pancakes. Wow. I also love the addition of lemon curd. Amazing as usual, Esi.

vanillasugarblog said...

not a big pancake person? can i take your temperature? if you come see me, you will be a pancake person. mmmmk?
you are so lucky to have access to meyer lemons. that curd, ever since you first made it a year ago is always in the back of my mind.

Maria said...

We sometimes make pancakes on weekends or for dinner. WIll have to try these! They look awesome!

Jenn said...

I get random cravings for pancakes sometimes, too. Hmmm...maybe I should make myself some pancakes for dinner.

Esi said...

Hey everyone! Hope you all have a great weekend and yes, I haven't owned a nonstick pan since I lived with a roommate. Crazy, but true :)

The Food Librarian said...

These look fantastic! Yes, you'll just have to make them again for berry season! - mary

Alicia Foodycat said...

Ricotta pancakes are so good! And with meyer lemon curd, it's hard to imagine anything more delicious!

Alison Kilpatrick said...

I'm also not a huge fan of pancakes, but love the idea of them. Ricotta Pancakes is maybe what I need. Thanks for the recipe!

Unknown said...

isn't it funny how we have a hard time using things we fall in love with :)

these pancakes sound wonderful, i need to make some soon!

Gaby said...

all I want in life right now are these pancakes. seriously. :)

Juliana said...

Wow, what a great combination, ricotta and lemon curd. Sounds great for a weekend brunch :-)

Alison Kilpatrick said...

These were fantastic! I loved how light and fluffy they were. I made them on the weekend and really enjoyed them. I'm planning on making them for a Mother’s Day brunch.

M. said...

I'm eating my hot oatmeal right now while I stare at these pancakes and imagine that's what I have instead :) I even added some lemon curd to aide my imagination.

Joanne said...

Ricotta pancakes are just so delicious and I love that you flavored them with lemon curd. Bring on the pancake parade, I can't wait to see what variations you make!