Thursday, April 22, 2010

Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Green Garlic and Fried Egg

Whole Wheat Pasta with Green Garlic and a Fried Egg

Another week, another whole wheat pasta recipe with a spring delicacy. I first fell in love with green garlic two years ago when I started food blogging. It has such a great flavor and cooking with it is easy and it doesn't burn as quickly as garlic cloves. I pretty much only use the white and light green parts, but in the LA Times version of this recipe, it looks like they use the whole thing. It's a great, quick cooking dish and the egg yolk helps create a lovely creamy sauce. It's been a little chilly here this week so this was a nice dish to curl up on the couch and watch some of my favorite trashy tv shows.






Whole Wheat Spaghetti with Green Garlic and Fried Egg
(Slightly Adapted from the Los Angeles Times)



Makes 2 servings

4 ounces whole wheat spaghetti
4-5 stalks green garlic, halved lengthwise, washed, dried and sliced thinly
3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
2 eggs, at room temperature
Coarsely grated black pepper
Sea salt

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook the spaghetti until just al dente, about 9-11 minutes, or according to the instructions on the package.

Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook until tender and beginning to caramelize, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently so as not to burn. Remove the garlic from the pan and put it into a large bowl. When the pasta is cooked, add it, with a bit of the pasta water, to the bowl with the garlic and toss to combine.

Add the remaining 1 tablespoons of olive oil to the pan and turn the heat to high. One at a time, break the eggs into a small bowl and gently pour into the hot skillet, trying to keep them from touching. Cook until the edges are crispy and golden brown, the whites are set and the yolks are still runny.

Divide the warm pasta among plates. Gently slide an egg onto the top of each. Grind plenty of black pepper over each plate and add a generous pinch of sea salt. Serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Alison Kilpatrick said...

This looks fantastic! What a great weeknight meal. Actually, this reminds me of a pasta dish I made earlier this week, in terms of how simple it is.

So does “green garlic” just mean the green parts only? Or is it a specific kind – like black garlic?

Alison Kilpatrick said...

Ps. I'll post later today the pasta I made.

Unknown said...

ooh, i haven't tried green garlic. but this egg "sauce" i must get on :)

Erica said...

Everyone seems to be on an eggs kick these last few days! It is making me crave eggs. Love the eggs on top of pasta. I had a dish like this (minus the egg) at a steak house recently and it was amazing!

Diana said...

I loved the feature on green garlic in the LA Times! I wanted to make that green garlic soup but my ricotta had gone bad by that point. Will have to try one of the recipes soon!

Memória said...

I've never heard of green garlic! Interesting.

This dish looks lovely.

MaryMoh said...

Looks simple and delicious. Would make a lovely light lunch. I love that egg on top. I usually have 2 :D

Sook said...

Great flavors with few ingredients! Just the way I like it. :)

vanillasugarblog said...

green garlic! impossible to find in my stupid town. greg just did something with green garlic too.
i have yet to try the whole wheat spaghetti. is it good? be honest? not cardboardey is it?

Esi said...

Alison, Green garlic is the young garlic. It's pretty mild in flavor and holds up well in cooking.

Erica, eggs are my favorite food. I could eat them all day!

Dawn, as long as you cook whole wheat spaghetti properly (aka not over done and not underdone) it's really good. I like it a lot and hardly notice the difference between whole wheat and non whole wheat.

The Duo Dishes said...

If there's a fried egg on something, it's going to be good. Doesn't matter what it is!

La Bella Cooks said...

My grandmother used to make pasta with a fried egg on top and then let the yolk ooze all over. I love the idea of the garlic in there with your recipe. Looks tasty and comforting.

Veggie Belly said...

What a simple and satisfying dish! love the egg on top!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good - lots of my favorite things. I LOVE fried eggs!

Jessica said...

Oh wow, what a neat idea! I love foods that are not complicated, yet delicious!

Thanks for the post.

jessyburke88@gmail.com