Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Spicy White Pizza with Bacon, Shrimp, and Asparagus

Spicy White Pizza with Bacon, Shrimp, and Asparagus

Please forgive my absence over the last few days. I had to run up to San Francisco for a quick trip. I'm back as of yesterday and ready to eat! The second I saw this pizza recipe posted, I ran to my kitchen to see how I could recreate it. In my case it was only a matter of purchasing asparagus, peppers, and ricotta since all of the ingredients just so happened to be lurking in my fridge. It was well worth the purchase and the leftover ricotta was used up well.

Spicy White Pizza with Bacon, Shrimp, and Asparagus

I've enjoyed asparagus in so many different ways, but this was a unique way for me to have it and I really liked this pizza. It's a bit loaded in terms of ingredients, but they all play well together and work in harmony. Next time I may skip the ricotta base, but that is only because I am one of those weirdos who prefers sauce-less pizzas. I think the only thing that could make this better would be roasting the asparagus before putting it on the pizza. Stop me before I get any more ideas...

Spicy White Pizza with Bacon, Shrimp, and Asparagus






Spicy White Pizza with Bacon, Shrimp, and Asparagus
(Adapted from The Hungry Mouse)



1 ball pizza dough
Coarse cornmeal for the pan
1/2 cup ricotta
4-6 slices bacon, diced
1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
6-7 spears asparagus, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 chili pepper, seeded, deveined, and sliced into thin strips
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.

Roll out the dough to desired thinness. Sprinkle a baking sheet with cornmeal and place the dough on top.

In a large pan, cook the bacon over medium heat until done. Drain the bacon on towels and drain most of the fat from the pan. Lightly season the shrimp with salt and pepper and add to the pan. Cook for about one minute on each side until the shrimp are light pink, but not fully cooked through (they will continue to cook in the oven).

Mix the ricotta with a bit of salt and pepper. Spread the ricotta mixture over the dough in an even layer. Sprinkle the bacon over the ricotta then sprinkle with some of the mozzarella. Arrange the shrimp, asparagus, and chili pepper over the pizza and sprinkle with more cheese. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through and the cheese is melted. Serve warm.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Erica said...

I missed you! This looks awesome- white pizza is such a nice change form the usual tomato based sauce pizza. Ricotta is amazing. Nice work

Natalie said...

Looks great! I will def have to give this one a try.

Pam said...

This is different and it looks delicious! Love the combo of ingredients!

Kelly said...

The colors on your picture are gorgeous. I personally love ricotta on pizza. I love how it melts and becomes creamy and has a nice clean flavor. Yum.

Amy said...

Gorgeous picture and that pizza looks fantastic! I will have to bookmark that one.

The Duo Dishes said...

A classic white pizza is the #1 fave from NY. It's just so good. This is a great way to switch it up.

Diana said...

I feel like the universe really really wants me to make pizza from scratch. Okay, fine. I'll give the frozen pies a rest!!

Hope everything went well this weekend!

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! Love the ricotta and shrimp.

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious! I love shrimp on everything. Love it.

Jenn said...

Shrimp! I need me some shrimp!!!

I love that it's a white sauce, too. Yum!!!!!

vanillasugarblog said...

man that sounds so good! very creative.

MaryMoh said...

My first time to see such a lovely prawn pizza....and spicy too. I love this.

La Bella Cooks said...

Oh wow, this has everything delicious that belongs on a great pizza. I love this recipe.

Maria said...

I am always looking for new pizza ideas. Love this recipe!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

how was SF? I miss it! This pizza looks so good I wish I could eat it right now!

Esi said...

Hello everyone, thanks for the kind words. The trip was great!

Memória said...

This pizza looks fantastic!! Wow, Esi, you've outdone yourself on this one. How did you make the dough?! It looks so soft.

I think I would eat this up even with all the veggies on it haha.

I'm glad you made it back safely.

shaz said...

Welcome back Esi! Shouldn't have read this post now, haven't had lunch yet and now my tummy is absolutely growling. I love shrimp on pizza and this looks juicy and stunning. Yum.

The Beso Team said...

Dear Dishing Up Delights,

Thank You for entering the Bake Up Summer Sweets Contest. I hope you are given the opportunity to own a new KitchenAid mixer so you can whip up your strawberry gellate recipe with ease.
Thank You and Good Luck!
The Beso Team
http://www.beso.com/style-director-contest/bake-up-summer-sweets

M. said...

hope you had fun in my city!
pizza looks great...and I'm too one of those weirdos, who prefer no sauce on it. :)

lisaiscooking said...

Shrimp and asparagus sounds fantastic on a white pizza! And, now I'm already ready for dinner.

Unknown said...

ooh, ricotta on a pizza? yes, that would work... and shrimp? hmm. good thing i have more dough in the freezer :)

Chef Fresco said...

We make pizza at least every week, so I'm always looking for new ideas! This looks so yummy! Especially with the ricotta - nice addition!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

that looks so good!!! of course it's totally non kosher, but good thing I'm a bad Jew :)

gorgeous photo

Alicia Foodycat said...

Lovely! I was always a bit dubious about seafood on pizzas until I tried a white pizza with big prawns on it - completely turned me around!

test it comm said...

What a great pizza! Shrimp, bacon and asparagus would make a great pizza topping combo!

Marie said...

Ahhh!! This pizza looks crazy good.

Shelby said...

This looks absolutely delicious and it is going on my list of I "have" to make!

Melanie said...

This pizza looks so delicious...will try it, I love shrimp and cheese-

Simones Kitchen said...

This is such a good looking pizza!! And o, it would work very well with chicken instead of prawns and so many other things. Looks really delicious!