Thursday, March 10, 2011

Breakfast Pizza

Breakfast Pizza 3/5/11

Sometimes, I hoard things. As an avid cook, I've amassed quite a few cooking related things. Not just equipment, but various food stuffs that most single girls who cook for just themselves wouldn't normally have in their kitchen...but I'm not a normal girl. One of the refreshing things about moving is that you can through away things and start again. That package of rice sticks that I've had for two years? So long! The 9x13 pan I haven't been able to fit into an oven in nearly two years? Toodles! One of the things that I have a hard time letting go of is my recipe collection. I'm constantly seeking recipes from new sources, forgetting that at home I have hundred of printed out recipes all waiting to be made. This particular pizza was first brought to my attention via the New York Times. It was made popular by Smitten Kitchen, and recently fell into my radar again via Cupcakes and Cashmere. I've had it sitting in my recipe book for ages, but I'm only now getting around to making it. I wish I had done it sooner.

Breakfast Pizza

This is a great breakfast for me since I'm not a big fan of sweet breakfasts. As regular readers know, a runny egg yolk on top of almost any savory dish makes me swoon. All I had to do was add some hot sauce and I was in porky, eggy, carb heaven. I'm glad I just completed a week of vegetarian eating before I indulged in this.

Breakfast Pizza


Breakfast Pizza
(Adapted from The Big Sur Bakery as found in the New York Times)

Makes 2 servings

8 ounces whole wheat pizza dough
3 strips of bacon, cooked to desired crispness, chopped
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 large eggs
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon minced parsley
1 tablespoon minced chives
1/2 scallion, minced

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Lightly flour the back of a baking sheet.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough to about an 8 inch round. Transfer the dough to the floured side of the baking sheet. Spread the cheeses and bacon over the top of the pizza. Make 2 wells in the cheese, and crack an egg into each well. Season each egg with salt and pepper.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until the cheese is melted, the dough is cooked, and the egg whites have set. Turn once halfway through baking. Spread the herbs over the top of the pizza and let cool for two minutes. Serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Erica said...

That looks SO good. I will be excited to eat runny eggs again. I'm a food hoarder as well. Um...hello, I can't stop buying cans of pumpkin :)

Hungry Dog said...

This sounds great. Strangely, although I don't like eggs much in general, I happen to like them on pizzas. I don't know why, but it's true.

Kelly said...

I simply love, love, love eggs on pizza especially when the yolk stays deliciously runny making a decadent sauce for the pizza. Mmmm.

Diana said...

I still can't believe you've never ordered French toast for brunch/breakfast. Who are you???

That said, I forgive you for your sweet breakfast phobias because this pizza looks AWESOME!

susan said...

I love your food! This looks amazingly great. I know Eli would eat this in a two bites!

La Bella Cooks said...

This reminds me I need to eat breakfast more often. I definitely would with this gorgeous pizza. Very creative.

Joanne said...

I have way too many random kitchen things that most 50 year old women don't have! Although I do also have this recipe in my bookmarked folder. And now I'm definitely going to have to break it out! Looks SO good!

Unknown said...

runny yolks are gold, this is certainly a winner. love :)

Amanda said...

wow, that is really fantastic!! Your looks just delightful!

Lucy Lean said...

eggy porky carb heaven indeed!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness - this is new to me with the eggs on the top.
I love breakfast pizza. Can't wait to give this one a try!

vanillasugarblog said...

i am not a fan of sweet breakfast either. unless! it's a blueberry muffin. that is my exception.
i have yet to put an egg right on a pizza. and you always cook your eggs perfectly--what's up with that? lol
;-P

marla said...

Now this is my kinda pizza - protein packed for breakfast, lunch or dinner!

Simones Kitchen said...

I wouldn't have even thought about making a pizza for breakfast but this looks seriously good!

Rachel said...

This looks great! I prefer savory breakfasts most of the time too.

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

LOVE It! I''m not a fan of sweet things either for breakfast. This looks awesome: even for lunch or dinner.

Marie said...

Can it be thst I've never had breakfast pizza? Looks awesome!

The Nerd said...

Ugh. That looks delightful.

Patty H. said...

This looks awesome! Much different version of breakfast pizza than I've seen before; can't wait to try it.