Thursday, March 17, 2011

Stir-Fried Pork with Leeks and Sugar Snap Peas

Stir-Fried Pork with Leeks and Sugar Snap Peas

Lately my weekday lunches have consisted of this, or this, or this. These are all great dishes, but I was looking for something different this week. I need to incorporate more carbs and fiber into my diet so serving this with brown rice was a natural option. The original recipe didn't include snap peas, but I wanted to add some more green in this dish and also make it more spring-like. The markets are full of great snap peas which add great crunch and a slightly sweet flavor. I don't cook with them often, but they also make a great snack. I'm always on the lookout for recipes for work lunches so if you have anything you think I should try, leave it in the comments.


Stir-Fried Pork with Leeks and Snowpeas
(Adapted from Saveur)

*Note: Next time I'll probably use slightly less oil than what is called for below. If you use low-sodium soy sauce, you may need to add more to punch up the flavor. Also, a pinch of red pepper flakes would be great here.

Makes about 3 servings

10 ounces pork butt, frozen for 20 minutes and cut into 2-inch by 1/8-inch strips
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
1 leek, white and pale green parts only, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch thick pieces
2 cups sugar snap peas, washed, trimmed, and cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces

In a medium bowl, combine the sliced pork, sesame oil, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and half of the minced garlic. Let sit for 15 minutes.

Heat a large wok or skillet over high heat until the wok begins to smoke. Add 1 tablespoon of the canola oil around the edge of the pan and swirl to coat the bottom and the sides. Add the leeks and snap peas and cook, stirring constantly until the leeks are fragrant, about 1 minute. Transfer to a plate and set aside.

Add the remaining oil around the edge of the wok, swirling to coat the bottom and sides. Add the pork mixture and remaining garlic and cook, stirring constantly until the pork is browned, about 2 minutes.

Add the leeks and snap peas to the wok and cook, stirring often until tender and the mixture is combined, about 1 minute. Serve with rice.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

19 comments:

Amanda said...

Looks great!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

pretty perfect for St Patrick's day with all the green. YUM.

Erica said...

I rarely cook with pork- I should branch out! Josh seems to enjoy it. Maybe I will give this a go for him. And I like the addition of snap peas -they are so yummy.

Kelly said...

For some reason I don't eat a lot of pork, but this sounds like a delicious way to change it. I think it was a great addition to include the sugar snap peas. Every dish needs a little green.

notyet100 said...

will try this with chicken..;-)

La Cuisine d'Helene said...

Nice dish for St Patrick's Day. Have a good one!

The Duo Dishes said...

Snap peas are a favorite. So sweet.

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious!!!!

Joanne said...

When snow peas are good, they are REALLY good in my opinion. Freshly picked, they can be SO sweet. What a great stir fry! Stir fries reheat so well in my opinion, so perfect for work lunches!

marla said...

Loving this clean & healthy meal!

Rachel (Olalliberry) said...

I've been working on learning to cook both pork and stir fries lately, so this is great inspiration! The peas sound like a perfect addition for early spring :)

vanillasugarblog said...

isn't it great? all the good spring produce coming in? I just had my 1st batch of large organic strawberries. YES.
i put sugar snap peas in won ton soup once...really good if you have any leftover

Diana said...

I always forget about snap peas, but I love how sweet and crunchy they are! Nice call on adding more veg to the stir-fry. You know how I feel about pretty little green things. Pretty little liars too.

Simones Kitchen said...

That's one of the things I love about spring... All those vibrant new things... I love the sugarpeas too. I eat them quite a lot actually and this sound like a great recipe too!

Kristen said...

I love stir fry - what a great recipe and I love the pork!

Lyndsey Myers said...

This just looks so beautiful!

Alicia Foodycat said...

This looks really light and delicious - perfect!

Kerstin said...

Love your pea addition - looks so perfect for spring! I don't cook pork very often and need to try working with it more!

Damaris @Kitchen Corners said...

I just found your blog via The Food Librarian. I love leeks. This looks like an easy enough dish to make. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog.