Monday, January 30, 2012

Spaghetti Squash Sesame Noodles with Edamame

Spaghetti Squash Sesame Noodles with Edamame

I was quite taken with this recipe after seeing it on Marla's blog earlier this month. I'd never worked with spaghetti squash before, but I immediately picked one up at the farmers market. This is such a simple dish to prepare, but it packs a delicious flavor punch. I took Marla's suggestion and instead of trying to cut into the squash before roasting it, I just roasted the heck out of it, cut it and then pulled out the delicious spaghetti-like strands. I'm not a fan of faux meats or tofu noodles, but subbing spaghetti squash for regular noodles in now something that I can fully get on board with. I'm already thinking about the next way I can use spaghetti squash and thankfully there are a ton of ideas out there for inspiration.


Spaghetti Squash Recipes from around the Web:
Spaghetti Squash Pancakes by Citron et Vanille
Spaghetti Squash with Tomato and Mozzarella by A Work in Progress
Spaghetti Squash Paella Marinera by Foodalogue



Spaghetti Squash Sesame Noodles with Edamame
(Adapted from Family Fresh Cooking)

Makes 4-6 servings

3 cups cooked spaghetti squash (from one 2 3/4-pound squash)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sriracha
1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
1 large garlic clove, grated
1/2 cup shelled edamame
1 green onion, diced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Chopped cilantro for garnish

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil. Place the squash on the sheet, and roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a paring knife is easily inserted in the center of the squash.

Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Scrape the sides of the squash using two forks to remove the spaghetti.

In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, vinegar, sriracha, ginger, and garlic until well combined.

Toss the squash noodles with the sauce. Fold in the green onions and edamame. Serve slightly warm or at room temperature garnished with sesame seeds and cilantro.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

16 comments:

Erica said...

I'm TOTALLY making this! I love spaghetti squash so much. And I always do it Italian style, this is a whole new take

susan said...

This looks delish! Will you come over and make this with me?? xx

Maria said...

Love everything about this dish!

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

Yay!! This post has me all smiles :) So glad you like this recipe. I think you might also enjoy the one I will be publishing in the next hour :)

JoJo said...

I'm curious about the edamame beans. I've seen them frozen at the grocery but not brave enough to try them. Are they similar in taste to a pea? This does look yummy!

Joanne said...

Though I just can't get behind the idea of spaghetti squash being a spaghetti replacement, I do love it in it's own right! The Asian flavors in this would hit the spot.

angela@spinachtiger said...

I love spaghetti squash but could never get it to look as good as you did. Perfect too with edemame.

emily (a nutritionist eats) said...

Love the asian spin, I've only done the typical marinara!

Banana Wonder said...

this sounds and looks redankulously good. i never thought about asian flavors on squash but now i must try it!

vanillasugarblog said...

really? wow. I've never used asian flavoring with spaghetti squash but need to now. We're always so trained to think italian style with the stuff. you know? good idea. love the chopsticks totes.

Jenn @ Peas and Crayons said...

Totally had spaghetti squash for dinner tonight=) noooot as green and glorious as this though! love it!

Diana said...

Um, hi. I need that in my world like yesterday.

Only problem? I don't think spaghetti squash and quinoa could ever have a harmonious union.

Heather Christo said...

This is just lovely- I think my children would love it too with that beautiful green edamame on top!

Debbie said...

Yum! love cooking meals and using spaghetti squash for the noodles! Have added you to my cooking blog to watch for more yummy recipes

The Food Librarian said...

Ahhh... This looks fantastic!! Definitely on my to make list - mary

tosmeau said...

vous pouvez regarder ici sacs de répliques de luxe cliquez pour plus d'informations Dolabuy Louis Vuitton Visitez votre URL réplique dolabuy