Friday, January 6, 2012

Roasted Persimmons Wrapped in Bacon

Roasted Persimmons Wrapped in Bacon

Before the holidays, I got together with my friends for one last potluck and a gift exchange. I needed something simple and fast to make. The best part of this appetizer is that you can wrap the persimmons a day in advance and just pop them in the oven right before the party. The mild, sweet persimmons go well with the smoky bacon and tart balsamic. Leaving them on the toothpicks makes it easy for guests to eat too. I love finding new ways to use persimmons and this easy preparation is certainly a keeper.



One year ago: Quinoa with Shrimp and Pineapple
Two years ago: Winter Fruit Salad with Whole Wheat Orzo and Arugula
Three years ago: Vanilla Bean Marshmallows



Roasted Persimmons Wrapped in Bacon
(Adapted from Food & Wine, December 2004)

4 persimmons, each cut into 8 wedges
16 pieces of bacon, halved crosswise
Salt and pepper to taste
Aged balsamic vinegar for serving

Lightly season the persimmons with salt and pepper.Wrap each persimmon wedge with a piece of bacon and secure with a toothpick. This can be done up to a day ahead of time. Keep the persimmons refrigerated until ready to bake.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Roast the bacon-wrapped persimmons for 20-25 minutes or until the bacon is cooked through. Serve warm, drizzled with balsamic vinegar.


Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

8 comments:

Erica said...

Balsamic seriously makes so many dishes better! What a great app!

vanillasugarblog said...

oh esi that balsamic brings it to a whole new level.
love this totes!

Heather Christo said...

That dish is stunning Esi!

Unknown said...

I get so excited when persimmons are in season. This maybe my next favorite snack.

Joanne said...

Persimmons are way to too under-appreciated, in my opinion, and I love finding new ways to use them! This sounds great!

marla said...

Love that sweet, smoky, savory combo!

Kerstin said...

What a great way to feature persimmons - they look addicting!

aida mollenkamp said...

I adore persimmons on their own so I'm sure I'd dig this combo!