Monday, August 16, 2010

Asian Chicken-Noodle Salad with Snap Peas

Asian Chicken Salad with Noodles

Here's what happens with leftovers. They go into a work salad that is completely appropriate for work lunches. One of the most appealing things about the grilled chicken recipe is that there was a separate recipe to turn into more goodness. I didn't have udon noodles, but I had somen leftover from one of my trips to Koreatown. They were good, but I think I had a bit too much noodle action going on here and next time I would reduce the noodles by about half. That said, this is a fantastically simple recipe especially since there is minimal cooking involved since most of it has already been done ahead of time. I have to say, I'm so in love with that issue of Bon Appetit and though I miss Gourmet dearly, I'm glad I can have simple, great recipes at my fingertips all the time.


Asian Chicken-Noodle Salad with Snap Peas
(Adapted from Bon Appetit, June 2010)

Makes 2 servings

12 ounces sugar snap peas, strings removed
8 ounces Japanese-style noodles (I used somen. You can also use udon or soba noodles)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
2 grilled chicken thighs or breast halves, cut into strips
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1 cup mango-sesame dressing
Toasted sesame seeds for garnish (optional)

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and prepare and ice bath. Add the snap peas and cook until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Remove the snap peas from the pot with a slotted spoon and transfer to the ice bath to cool and stop the cooking process.

Return the water to a boil and add the noodles. Cook until firm, about 4 minutes or according to package instructions. Rinse the noodles under cold water until they have cooled. Transfer the noodles to a bowl. Add peas, chicken, and green onions and toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve chilled topped with toasted sesame seeds if desired.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

30 comments:

Pam said...

This looks delicious! Good job with the sugar snap peas!

Unknown said...

love morphing things into new meals :) leftovers work especially well for lunch! dreaming of that mango dressing...

lisaiscooking said...

This is what I always want for lunch. I love the crunchy veg on top, and the dressing sounds great!

Maria said...

I love the snap peas in there!

Brooke said...

Ooooh! Oooooh! Me want! Me want! What a great way to reuse leftovers and make a fresh lunch! Great recipe!

Banana Wonder said...

Mmm good for a hot day. I'm really getting into sesame oil these days.

Anonymous said...

Fantastically simple are two of my favorite words! Then again so is grilled chicken :) Great recipe!

Anonymous said...

i love sugar snap peas and that looks like such a yummy lunch!

Kelly said...

I love noodle dishes for that very reason. I made some spicy peanut noodles last week with lo mein noodles from my local Korean grocery store and it was a pleasure to eat all week long.

Becca said...

I like to call this sort of work salad a "crap salad" - I think you know how I got that name :) Your version looks far better than mine though!

Becca

Erica said...

very nice! I love adding something starchy to salads to make it a bit more filling and the dressing sounds yum!

The Food Librarian said...

Delicious!!!

Joanne said...

I've always been more of a bon appetit girl myself and I love their dinner and leftover features. This salad looks fantastic!

Unknown said...

Those are the best dishes.

Diana said...

That's the same issue that had the corn pesto I made last week!

The mango sesame dressing sounds amazeballs too. Think I might have to make this recipe too!

Simones Kitchen said...

Great looking salad! I love noodle salads anyway although I do think this will be even better with udon noodles!

vanillasugarblog said...

mango dressing? did i miss that? i see that's from an older post. well that sounds really good in this. i miss a lot stuff don't i?

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I love snap peas! And I especially like turning leftovers into a lunch for work the next day. so much better than a typical pb&j ;)

MaryMoh said...

This looks simple and delicious. I love noodles. I can have it any time.....mmmm

Kana said...

Esi: We are alike , I prefer to take leftovers for lunches rather than cold sandwiches!!

Kelly said...

Oh and I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if you have/had my blog in your RSS reader, but if so you may need to update the feed. I didn't realize when I switched over to feedburner that my old subscribers would no longer be updated so just wanted to send out the FYI. I have the link to the new feed at the top of my blog. :-)

Memória said...

Hmmm, I actually think I would eat this! It looks good.

Juliana said...

Wow, the chicken noodles look fantastic...so tasty..love the idea of the snap peas...yummie!

Kelly Valentine said...

Looks so yummy and it's making me hungry!!

Can't wait to see you this weekend!! xxoxo

Glamourous Spirit

Kerstin said...

Mmm, the mango dressing sounds amazing! And I'm with you on using chicken multiple ways :)

Jamie said...

Oooh I love Asian recipes especially in easy to prepare salads. This is perfect!

Faith said...

This looks heavnly. I should try this soon. Unfortunately, my hubby doesn't like Asian food so I don't have it a lot. Great recipe

Jessica said...

Even with so many noodles it still looks delicious! The mango-sesame dressing sounds yummy! Definitely a keeper.

jessyburke88@gmail.com

Monika said...

I will have to try this, it looks so simple and delicious!

Joyti said...

Darn...my favorite farmer is 'done' with sugar snaps for the year...'cause I'd love to use them for your delicious recipe. It sounds so fresh and looks lovely too.