Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dandelion Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon

Dandelion Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon

Besides extravagant dinners and teas, most of my diet this summer has been oatmeal and salads. However, once in a while I like to change it up and make the salad kind of fun. I love this take on the classic salad Lyonnaise especially since it's jam packed with flavor. Dandelion greens are very bitter and similar to arugula and the tangy, pungent dressing is a great accompaniment to the salty bacon and creaminess of the egg yolk. I could eat this salad every day if given the opportunity, but next time I will briefly saute the greens in the dressing to offset the bitterness just a bit. The deep flavor in the croutons is strangely addictive and I will make them again for future salads...and snacking. In terms of salad, this is more luxurious in taste and texture, but hopefully the health qualities of dandelion greens will make you feel less guilty in it's consumption. This is a great simple salad to go on your regular rotation.


Dandelion Salad with Poached Eggs and Bacon
(Adapted from Earth to Table as found on Serious Eats)



Makes 2 servings

For the croutons:
1 cup stale bread, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary (can also used minced thyme)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

For the salad:
2 slices center cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 small shallot, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons whole grain Dijon mustard
2 cups dandelion leaves, washed and patted dry

For the eggs:
2 large eggs
Water
White vinegar

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment paper. In a bowl, toss the bread with the olive oil, rosemary, and salt. Spread onto the baking sheet in a single layer. Bake for about 10 minutes or until the bread is golden brown. Set aside to cool slightly.

While the croutons are baking, cook the bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat until crisp and the fat renders, about 7-10 minutes.  Remove the bacon from the pan using a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Leave about a tablespoon of oil in the pan. Add the shallots, vinegar, and Dijon vinegar to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to scrape off any bits off the bottom of the pan. Stir quickly to bring the dressing together, cover to keep warm.

Crack each egg into a small bowl or ramekin. Fill a small saucepan with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and add a splash of vinegar. Using a spoon, create a well in the water and add the egg. Quickly cover the egg with water and cook for 2-4 minutes until the whites have set and the yolk is still runny.

In a large bowl, toss the dandelion greens with the dressing, bacon, and croutons. Arrange the salad on plates and top with the poached egg. Serve immediately.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

18 comments:

Pam said...

This looks delicious and I've seen recipes for dandelion salads but, have never tried it. Now, you have given me the incentive!

Check out my CSN giveaway today and I hope you enter!

Becca said...

Throw a poached egg on anything and it's instantly better!

Becca

Erica said...

Such a fun salad. I have eggs that NEED to be used up. Dinner=salad with egg. Totally doing it ;)

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

LOVE pictures of eggs with yolks oozing out. In Russia dandelion greens were quite popular, but I don't think I've ever tasted them...should find a yard or something somewhere.

La Bella Cooks said...

Wow, the picture alone tells the story. This looks perfect.

Joanne said...

Summer is definitely the time for salads! I love how fresh flavored this is!

Banana Wonder said...

Bitter greens rules! You are a salad wizz Esi.

marla {family fresh cooking} said...

This might be a simple salad to prepare, but it is so very elegant. I am sure a restaurant would charge a fortune for it. The dandelion greens are a nice touch.

Maria said...

I love this salad! Great summer meal!

shaz said...

Awesome salad, your poached egg looks so perfect Esi, mine always have bits hanging off them!

vanillasugarblog said...

and you always make the perfect poached egg! so glad you added some bacon too.

Deliciously Organic said...

Yum! I'm sort of addicted to poached eggs, so I need to try this salad. So great seeing you this weekend!

Kelly said...

I love a salad with a good poached egg because it almost becomes a dressing of its own. So rich and delicious.

angela@spinachtiger said...

I think you like poached eggs as much as I do. Looks delish

Active Foodie said...

I love adding poached eggs to salads. It's such a nice addition and a great way to add some protein. I ahve never tried dandelion but I love the idea!

Memória said...

You are just too sophisticated for me! haha I've been reading your latest posts today, and I just admire how varied your taste buds are. I hope you won't mind going to some plain restaurant with me if we ever meet LOL!!

P.S. I'm in Los Angeles. I arrived on Tuesday evening.

Gourmande said...

I like Spring dandelion salad. It's a peasant specialty in my homeplace (Lorraine). You presentation looks great.

In France, the "salade de pissenlit" is eaten in April-May. We eat young leaves before flowers appear. In Osaka, I'm the only person gathering them, but I find the leaves are well in February-March. After, we think the leaves are too thick and bitter for salad... and certain persons complain of a side effect (it's a diuretic in herbal medicine). It could be that your dandelions are more tender than the wild ones I had. Also tastes and colors vary.

M. said...

this would make an amazing brunch tomorrow!!!