Thursday, January 13, 2011

Sweet Potato Hash with a Fried Egg

Sweet Potato Hash with a Fried Egg

Ok, so my last post was touting healthy eating, but hey, you have to mix it up, right?  Besides, this dish isn't totally unhealthy. It has a vegetable in it.  I recently realized that I had a sweet potato lingering in my kitchen that I needed to use sooner rather than later. After surveying the contents of my kitchen, it took approximately thirty seconds for me to come up with this hash.  Of course, like most recipes, I could not resist topping it with a fried egg. That's just the way I roll. I just wish I had more sweet potatoes and bacon laying around. This was so good. I loved the sweetness of the potato with the salty, not too fatty bacon.  The yolk from the egg gets all mixed in with those flavors and it's quite addictive.  In fact, I wanted to make this again immediately after eating it the first time, but decency...and the lack of another sweet potato in my kitchen kept me from doing that. 



Sweet Potato Hash with a Fried Egg
(By Esi)

Makes 1 serving

2 pieces bacon, sliced
1 small shallot, chopped
1 sweet potato peeled and cut into chunks
Salt and pepper to taste
1 fried egg or poached egg

Cook in the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until desired crispiness. Remove the bacon from the pan with a slotted spoon. Drain all, but two teaspoons of the fat. Add the shallots to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes to the pan. Cook, stirring occasionally until the sweet potatoes have softened and are cooked through, about 10 minutes. The shallots will caramelize a bit during this process.  Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir the bacon back into the pan. Serve warm, topped with a fried or poached egg.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

15 comments:

Amanda said...

I LOVE the fried egg addition! :) Great job girl!

lynn said...

mmmm sweet potatoes are super healthy - this looks great!

Erica said...

I am doing so much breakfast for dinner lately. And have actually been making a very similar dish too! The combination of sweet potato and egg is awesome

Joanne said...

This is truly super not bad for you at all! Sweet potatoes are superfoods and therefore, they cancel out the bacon. It's scientifically proven :P

Banana Wonder said...

Loving this salty sweet combination you got going on here. I can't decide if I'd want to eat this for breakfast or dinner:)?

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

what a perfectly cooked egg! and who doesn't love sweet potatoes mmm throw in some bbq pulled pork and i'm comin over!

Unknown said...

i don't know what you're talking about, totally healthy ;) and love that egg!

vanillasugarblog said...

and your eggs are always perfectly done right. every single time you make an egg be it poached or fried its perfect.

Anonymous said...

dang! you always steal my heart with runny yolks!

Antonietta said...

Wow- I love sweet potatoes but never though to top them with a fried egg- thanks!

Diana said...

I know someone who would LOVE the bacon in this dish.

The Food Librarian said...

Your fried eggs always look so delicious! And sweet potatoes are rad.

marla {Family Fresh Cooking} said...

This hash looks wonderful & I still think it is healthy :)

Michelle @ Taste As You Go said...

This looks exactly like something I'd make myself for dinner on a busy weeknight, from the use of sweet potatoes to the addition of the fried egg on top. Delicioso!

plasterer bristol said...

this sounds delicious and something different to try. thanks for posting this up.

Simon