Thursday, September 15, 2011

Blueberry Sweet Rolls

Blueberry Sweet Rolls

I need to apologize to you. Blueberry season seems to be over and I snatched up a few more just as it was ending so I could make these rolls. Save this until next year, and trust me, you'll want to. After my enormous success with non-cinnamon rolls last year, I knew I had to make another fruit roll soon. I saw a different recipe for blueberry rolls, but it seemed a little fussy. I finally found this recipe last week and knew I had to make it now since blueberry season is done. Late season blueberries are not as sweet as mid-season so they are great to bake with and bring out their delicious flavor. The only real change I made to the recipe was to add some lemon zest to the dough to brighten it up a bit, but next time (oh yes, there will be a next time), I'll do a lemon glaze instead of the vanilla. I always prefer that contrast of sweet and tart. If you have one, bake these in a 9x9 dish to give the rolls some room to expand. These rolls need to be prepped a day ahead of time so plan accordingly, but what an excellent treat they are! 


One year ago: Classic Salade Nicoisse
Two years ago: Cuban Opera Cake
Three years ago: Creme Brulee Oatmeal



Blueberry Sweet Rolls
(Adapted from Food Blogga)

Makes 9 rolls

For the dough:
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
2 packets ( 1/2 ounce or 4 1/2 teaspoons) active dry yeast
1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
1/2 cup warm water
3/4 cup warm milk
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, melted and cooled
2 large eggs at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon melted butter for brushing over the dough

For the filling
2 cups fresh blueberries, washed and patted dry
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

For the icing:
1 cup confectioner's sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
A few drops of lemon juice or milk

To make the dough:
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, yeast, sugar, salt, and lemon zest. Stir in the water, milk, butter eggs, and vanilla. Using a wooden spoon, mix until the dough clears the sides of the bowl, adding more flour a tablespoon at a time as needed.

Lightly oil a large clean bowl and transfer the dough to the new bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough overnight.

To make the rolls:
Let the dough come to room temperature on the counter. Butter an 8-inch square pan.

Lightly flour a large surface. Roll out the dough to a 12-inch by 19-inch rectangle, cutting away any scraps as needed.

In a bowl, mix together the filling ingredients until evenly coated. Spread the filling evenly over the dough. Starting with the long side closest to you, roll the dough as tightly as possible, tucking in any blueberries that may escape. Place the end seam side down and tuck the sides of the roll under. Using a sharp knife, cut the dough into 9 equal pieces.

Place each piece into the prepared pan. Cover the pan with a clean, slightly damp towel and let the dough rise for 45 minutes.

Place the rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the rolls for 35-45 minutes, or until the tops of the rolls are golden and a toothpick inserted in the center roll comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a wire rack and let cool completely.

Whisk together the icing ingredients until smooth, but not too think. Separate the cooled buns and place them on a rack over a sheet of parchment paper. Drizzle with icing and let rest until the icing has hardened. Serve at room temperature.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Erica said...

That roll looks perrrrrfect! These would be awesome with blackberries too i bet!

Kathy - Panini Happy said...

I still haven't tried making fruit rolls but they look so good! I definitely think your idea for a lemon glaze would be great to try too. There's that lemon roll recipe on The Kitchn that's been calling my name for months. :-)

marla said...

No apologies needed. These look awesome! Love blueberries all year round.

Banana Wonder said...

I second Erica's mention of blackberries. These rolls look so yum.

The Food Librarian said...

Yummmmmmy! These look perfect!

Nancy said...

Ok... confession time... cinnamon rolls have always been a little too sweet for me. But these... ah, these I could definitely go for!!

Esi said...

Kathy, you should definitely make those lemon rolls. They are delish!!

Nancy, maybe you should start with lemon rolls. They have the perfect balance of sweet and tart.

Heather Christo said...

in my opinion it is hard to go wrong with a sweet roll, but add the blueberries? WOW!!

Unknown said...

those look awesome :) i've done the pumpkin version, i need to get on the fruit train!!

Georgia Pellegrini said...

I should make these for my impending house guests, they'd love me forever :)

Joanne said...

Lemon and blueberry are true matches made in heaven and I know they muts make these rolls taste heavenly! I wonder if this would work with frozen blueberries...

Unknown said...

I love the recipe.