Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry

Every Saturday when I get home from the farmers market, I do my cooking for the week. I rarely go out to lunch during the week so I cook up a large batch of brown rice, chicken, and spinach. It's healthy to balance out the rich brunches and decadent dinners I often attend, but it's also quite boring. In an effort to mix things up, I recently went on a hunt for interesting chicken recipes that would keep my palate entertained. The best part about this simple stir-fry was that I had all of the ingredients except the chicken and broccoli in my pantry. The marinade is very easy to make and grating the ginger and garlic on the microplane helps me make sure everything is incorporated evenly. I added some broccoli to to the original recipe to make it a little heartier and healthier. I'm looking forward to making this again and perhaps changing up the flavors a bit next time.




One year ago: Chicken with Tomato-Saffron Vinaigrette
Two years ago: Chaya Brasserie
Three years ago: Fig and Bacon Salad



Chicken and Broccoli Stir-Fry
(Adapted from Blog Chef)

Makes 4 servings

1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
2 tablespoons grated fresh garlic
1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1/8-1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, depending on how spicy you want it
1 pound of broccoli, washed, dried and cut into florets
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon oyster sauce

In a large bowl, whisk together the honey, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, and black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Add the chicken and toss to combine. Cover the bowl and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the skillet, reserving the marinade in the bowl. Cook, stirring often for about 8 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. In the last minute, add the broccoli to the pan and toss to combine. Transfer the chicken and broccoli to a bowl.

Add the leftover marinade to the skillet. Bring the mixture up to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally until the marinade has reduced by half, about 10 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the oyster sauce. Toss the sauce with the chicken and broccoli and serve with rice.

Printable Recipe

Stumble Upon Toolbar

14 comments:

Erica said...

YUM! I made stir fry last night- such a great go to meal! I used a TJs sauce last night but much prefer making my own

lisa is cooking said...

I have a thing for stir-fries with broccoli. I'd love to have this for lunch!

Olga @ MangoTomato said...

you are so organized! my cooking is completely random and I often end up buying lunch or breakfast or dinner. I need to be more like you.

This dish looks so healthy and flavorful especially w/ginger and garlic.

Nancy said...

This is one of my weeknight staple meals- and you are right, it's great for balancing out all the rich foods we "foodies" so love!!

Pam said...

I like your stir-fry. It sounds delicious and makes for a perfect healthy lunch instead of a Big Mac and fries!

LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

i wish i was organized enough to prepare the weeks lunches ahead of time instead i scramble for fast food or donuts or the good old trader joe's salads yuck!

Joanne said...

I'm a big fan of eating healthy during the week to make up for weekend decadence. This looks like a great way to do it!

Sharon said...

Looks great,we love stir fry's in our house!!

Unknown said...

Great recipe.

Simones Kitchen said...

I'm always on the lookout for quick and simple recipes I can eat during the week to save time and this looks like a brilliant example of fresh and healthy and quick!

Diana said...

I've been grating ginger on my microplane for a while, but never thought to try it with garlic! You, Esi = genius!

vanillasugarblog said...

that doesn't look boring at all. i tire of story fry too, so i just throw in a different sauce each time or just order a pizza. ;-)

Georgia Pellegrini said...

This looks so simply delicious. The best kind of food.

Kerstin said...

This looks so great to enjoy all week for lunches! I often do the same thing :)